board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

I didn't suck (Pics of my new car!)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Iavas_Saar
Post subject: I didn't suck (Pics of my new car!)
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:21 pm
His Rosyness

I just failed my driving test. Despite being told how easy it is in the US to pass, even for 16-yr olds. Despite not having to learn on a manual. Grrrrr I suck.

Last edited by Iavas_Saar on Sun 17 Apr , 2005 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Hey - I was a great driver in Canada before I moved to the UK, where I proceded to fail both driving tests that I took.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:23 pm
Milk and kisses

:( :hug:

Hey, at least you know the basics... You'll get there eventually! :)

(I'm still terrified of cars) :oops:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:29 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

:hug:

Did you ever pass in the UK?

If it's any comfort, my sister stopped counting the fails at 5. We think it was the 7th or 8th attempt when she passed.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:30 pm
b77 whipping boy

written or the driving test?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:34 pm
Gloriosus

I failed two times, but that was in Germany where everything is 100 times harder, and 20 years ago, when not smiling at policemen was considered a capital crime.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:39 pm
His Rosyness

I never got behind the wheel once in the UK, I was learning from scratch in the US (which was good, I didn't have to get used to driving on the other side etc). I passed the written test (just), and was pretty confident I was going to pass the driving test (my instructor said he didn't think I'd have a problem). I guess it was just one of those days when things conspire to go wrong. It went badly straight away when I forgot to release the parking break before reversing. From that moment I never regained my composure and proceeded to run into the curb while parallel parking. I suspected I was toast at that point. The rest of the test seemed to last less than 5 minutes.. I guess I'd already failed before leaving the parking lot. Then the final blow, failing to stop when turning at an orange light when I had time to do so. The bubble-gum blowing black lady testing me really told me off for that.

It's not all bad though.. I did feel good that my best friend who's failed 6 times in the UK would feel better about himself knowing I didn't make it first time either. Also, the test didn't cost me anything and I can go back again tomorrow (In the UK each test costs about $70 and you have to wait weeks to make an appointment for another one).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:48 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
Then the final blow, failing to stop when turning at an orange light when I had time to do so.
Orange light? Well, that explains part of the problem...

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 3:53 pm
His Rosyness

Oops, yellow :P (I'm used to it being amber in the UK)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:02 pm
Garrulous Griffon

Heh. I passed my driver's test here despite letting the car roll backwards slightly trying to pull away on an incline, despite cocking up parallel parking ( the instructor had me completely abort my attempt, drive once around the parking lot, and try again! ) and sucking at the reverse parking ( the instructor stood behind me and waved me "left! right! STOP!!!!". )

Why did I pass?

Because I did the road test first, and I'm actually a pretty together driver who just happens to be unable to do all that "tight space manuevering" :P Even to this day I park in the first available bay that looks easy to turn into, not the one closest to the shop. I REFUSE to parallel park. And so on :D

I got better at it now, but I did do that thread back on TORC about my triumph in managing to reverse park AT LAST :D

And the lights are AMBER here, as well. And we don't stop for them. It means you should accelerate so the two cars behind you can zip through the red light behind you. I'm DEAD serious, by the way. Not joking. If you brake for an amber/yellow light in South Africa, you'll get tailed by the car behind you. People don't expect it - in fact, they accelerate so they can zip through the red light behnd you.

EDIT: typo's! Oh boy :roll:

Last edited by Griffon64 on Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:04 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

lol! I don't drive, but I hadn't a clue what orange meant, either. :P

Around here, at least, you have to wait a few weeks or months before your next test and yes, it costs money every time. Hope it goes better tomorrow!

From the title, I thought you were going to admit to doing something bad, like............. hacking TORC or whatever. ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:05 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Should have moved to Florida. As far as I can tell from my experiences on the road, the driving test isn't compulsory.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:08 pm
Milk and kisses

Lidless, I'm shocked. :Q You haven't tried to do a play on words on this thread's title!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:16 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Griffon64 wrote:
Heh. I passed my driver's test here despite letting the car roll backwards slightly trying to pull away on an incline, despite cocking up parallel parking ( the instructor had me completely abort my attempt, drive once around the parking lot, and try again! ) and sucking at the reverse parking ( the instructor stood behind me and waved me "left! right! STOP!!!!". )
Are you sure you and I aren't related.

I passed my test first time. Despite reversing round a corner and up a hill, then promptly losing it and rolling back down the hill again. The examiner told me to take a deep breath and try again. I also managed to hit the kerb parallel parking. I try very hard to do neither now!

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:19 pm
Same as it ever was

Lidless

Heck, in Florida, not only do you not need a license, you don't even need to have legal vision!! :Q

Iavas -

You will do better. Honestly, unless you live in a congested urban area, noone EVER parallel parks, I wonder why they always make such a big deal of it on the road test. One hint, take the test in the smallest car that you can, much easier to manuever!!

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:21 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I failed twice in Germany

and once in Switzerland - and I knew that our relationship would hold when the guy to whom I was not yet married then managed to teach me how to park backwards

But I still hate cars, and they and I have a loooooong and painful (and expensive) history of mutual hurts.

Iavas - for me this makes you very sympathic (just sympathic, Eru ;) ) - I hate men who like fast cars, drive around all the time, pollute this beautiful planet etc etc.

Say, you did it on purpose, to prevent pollution in Texas.... :grouphug:

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject: Re: I suck
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:45 pm

Iavas_Saar wrote:
I just failed my driving test. Despite being told how easy it is in the US to pass, even for 16-yr olds. Despite not having to learn on a manual. Grrrrr I suck.
Iavas, it was not the curb that failed you. It would have been the stop sign. The minute you commit an infraction that violates the traffic laws, that's it, you're toast. They cannot pass you.

My mom hit the curb during her driving test. They told her if she'd actually gone over the curb, it would have been an instant failure.

Just keep within the traffic code next time, and you'll pass for sure. It took me two tries to get mine, and my mother needed three or four. (She was past 50 years old when she finally decided to get her license! Brave lady!)

Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue 08 Mar , 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 4:50 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I think it was bullshit. I took a look at his scorecard and it seems the woman just marked a lot of bads without looking to see what she was marking. I know that he doesn't do the things she marked as bad badly. She's probably the stereotypical, stupid, and inefficient government employee.

What sucks is that now he'll have to use my car which he doesn't like so much. Supposedly the accelerator is a bit touchy. I don't have a problem with it but he does. Also my car is bigger which will make parallel parking more difficult.

Jude: I'm worried about doing those test in England as well. I've heard they're very hard. :Q

Watcher: He'll have to parallel park everyday. That's how we have to park at our apartment, so he does need it. But I'm confused why parallel parking is such a big deal. I didn't have to do it on my drivers test and wonder why he does.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 5:04 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

and I thought I was the color blind one.... orange :P

ah.. dont worry about it. You have to parallel park :Q We dont have to do that in California.. Come here and get it, then go back there and apply for a new one! ;)

Don't worry. I'm sure you will manage. It takes some getting used to. I thought for sure I had failed when I took mine. A kid ran out in the middle of the street from behind a car and I had to hit my breaks to avoid him! Luckily the instructor said that no, because I had seen him and reacted on my own with out her having to yell that I was ok. .. talk about nerves the rest of the time though.. sheeeesh..

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 5:07 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Berhael wrote:
Lidless, I'm shocked. :Q You haven't tried to do a play on words on this thread's title!
It doesn't need one.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: