The Last Homely Site on the Web

Got soup recipes?

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Got soup recipes?
Posted: Fri 31 Oct , 2008 11:32 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Mmmmm, that all sounds so good! Ber, I am going to have to try that! I love almond-flavored things.

<has sore throat and no voice--yay!--and wants yummy soup>

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 12:42 am
Milk and kisses

I've lost my voice too. :(
Wisconsin beer soup for lunch tomorrow it is.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 1:14 am
Aspiring to heresy

Wisconsin Beer Soup? Is that good for the throat?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 1:20 am

Who knows, but maybe it will make it so that you won't care?! :D

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 8:20 am
Milk and kisses

What Lali said. :D
(It sounds warming and lovely anyway :) )

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 8:58 pm
Milk and kisses

Well I finally made it (for dinner, not lunch) and it is indeed lovely! Thanks for the recipe Watcher! :love: :toast:

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sat 01 Nov , 2008 9:56 pm
Same as it ever was

You are very welcome, Ber!!

Now I am coming down with a case of sniffles myself, so it might be soup for tomorrow, we have leftovers to use up tonight.

But, I am craving something like a good matzo ball soup at the moment. :(

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 12:09 am
wencherific

Keep the recipes coming! I'ver been drooling over most of the recipes. :P

Need to try a few of these out sometime...

Much more elaborate than the ones I've been thinking of making lately. Just a simple chicken and rice soup or potato and leek (one of my favorites :drool:).

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 1:19 am
Best friends forever

I can't buy Matzoh meal here. I have to go pretty near all the way to Vancouver. That irks me no end.

I think I might just make the trek this week. Thinking about making the Fruitcake again.

Oh, and my deep freeze crapped out on me. Nothing of import was lost, but it was a near run thing.

And, I intend to make your Beer Soup next week, The Watcher. And when scarfing it down, I shall no doubt think even MORE kindly of you.

So glad we met!!!! Aincha glad you went to Chim00t?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 3:54 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Beer soup! Aaaaarrrgh! :scarey: :help:

I don't think I can look a glass of beer in the face again for at least another...week.

My final score was 48 beers sampled and two ciders.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 11:11 pm
Try to stay perky

vison, if you can't buy matzah meal, can you buy matzah? Then all you need do is break up a few pieces and put them through the blender. You can vary the coarseness of the meal that way too.

I usually include almond meal, sautéed onions, nutmeg and cinnamon in my matzah balls. So delicious! Sooooo delicious!

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 03 Nov , 2008 12:01 am
Best friends forever

Impenitent wrote:
vison, if you can't buy matzah meal, can you buy matzah? Then all you need do is break up a few pieces and put them through the blender. You can vary the coarseness of the meal that way too.

I usually include almond meal, sautéed onions, nutmeg and cinnamon in my matzah balls. So delicious! Sooooo delicious!
No, I can't buy Matzoh either. I have made the dumplings with ordinary cracker crumbs and that works okay, but the flavour is entirely different. They're still good, but not AS good.

The ones I make are very plain, just the meal, melted butter (not chicken fat as a rule), eggs, a pinch of salt, and stock. But they are yum, yum, yummy. I make them small, too, and that makes it seem like you get more in every bowl of soup!!!

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 03 Nov , 2008 12:17 am

:bawl: <wants yummy, homemade soup>

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
theduffster
Posted: Mon 03 Nov , 2008 3:01 am
Damn those Amish!!

Since Christmas and gift-giving is coming quickly, I want to share a gift I've given to friends. This is a great one to give my father-in-law, who has to cook for himself, or anyone who needs to quickly be able to throw soup together on occasion--which is everyone!!

Start with a clean quart jar. Layer 1/2 cup split peas, a few spoonfuls of beef bouillon granules, 1/4 cup barley, 1/2 cup lentils, then 1/2 cup of rice. Sprinkle in some dried onion flakes, Italian seasoning, and drop in a few bay leaves.

Then put in a plastic baggie, with the opening at the top, and fill the baggie with any soup-y pasta. Close with a decorative lid. Tie a tag on. (I like to save old Christmas cards and cut the cover off, using fancy-edged scissors.) Make sure the back is big enough to write the following instructions on it:

Remove pasta. In a large pot, brown some hamburger, add a 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, and 3 quarts of water. Add the soup mix. Simmer one hour, then add the pasta and simmer another 15-20 min.

This is a good gift for kids to make for teachers, too. It's easy to get them involved in making the tags, too. We got an assembly line going last year and made a dozen or so of these. I even kept a few for myself!!

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 10 Nov , 2008 4:19 pm

Per Jude's request, here is my chicken noodle soup recipe. It's nothing special! And soup is one of the rare things I don't really measure stuff for, so I'll just have to guess.

I parboil my chicken. (Get it boiling, stir, cover with lid, and then reduce heat to very low. Let stand for 20-30 minutes, depending on whether the chicken is boneless or not.) Add half an onion studded with cloves and celery leaves (if you have them). Once I make sure the chicken is fully cooked, I remove it from the water and cut it into bite-sized pieces.

I strain the water I cooked the chicken in to remove the froth and scum. (Mmmm!) I remove the onion and celery leaves, too. That becomes the base of my soup, though I usually end up adding more water to have enough for a big batch of soup. I add chicken bouillon to taste and usually one vegetable bouillon, too.

To the stock, I add chopped celery, if I have it. The other half of the onion studded with cloves. Crushed garlic. Then a variety of spices, according to my mood. Thyme, basil, etc.

Add carrots. When the carrots are about done I add back in the chicken. (Usually, I'm cutting the chicken still while all of this is going on.) Once the carrots are done, I add wide egg noodles. The soup is simmering the whole time. Cook until noodles are done. I remove the onion/clove thing before serving. I season to taste, too, with pepper, salt, etc.

Hmmm, now that I write this all down, I'm not sure that's how I do it! LOL! :LMAO:

Okay, you've been warned!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 3:01 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I made The Watcher's Wisconsin Beer and Cheese soup this lunchtime. We've had snow and ice for days and the hail was bouncing off the windows so I judged the time was right. I used home made beer which is probably darker and more strongly flavoured than I guess the run of the mill American beer is but it didn't overpower the soup. It did boil over though. :doh1: Very distinctive and unusual and I'll make it again.

Now for the nettle soup recipe. This particular one is by Nigel Slater a British food writer. It's absolutely the wrong time of year for it, it's a Springtime recipe but if I remember I'll repost it in the Spring or someone can kick my ankle about it. You should use the top fresh growth of the nettles. You might consider using gloves to collect them. If you collect them at night you won't need a light to find them. It's actually quite good and we will definitely make it again next year.

I mostly repeat Nigel Slater's words:
Nettle and green pea soup

This is just as good chilled, though it will lose some of its colour. I also fancy making it with stock from a boiled ham. Serves 4.

4 spring onions (scallions? Or just a small onion)
25g butter

a small garlic clove

a medium-sized potato

1.5 litres hot vegetable or chicken stock

100g nettle leaves

250g peas

Remove the roots and the darkest green bits of the onions and discard them. Slice the onions thinly and let them soften with the butter and the peeled garlic in a deep saucepan. Peel the potato and cut into small dice, add it to the onions and continue to cook for a few minutes before pouring in the hot stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer for 10-15 minutes till the potato is tender.

Wash the nettles and add them to the pan with the peas. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring back to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer for a further 7-10 minutes until the peas and nettles are tender but still bright green.

Put the mixture through a blender till smooth. Check the seasoning and serve.

Some finely minced parsley popped in at the end would add to the greenery of this soup.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 3:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So the cooking eliminates all those nasty prickles in the nettles? Or does this soup produce internal bleeding?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 3:55 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ice and snow for days? Really Tosh? Wow. I had to look up where Suffolk was to see where you were getting this weather.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 4:11 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

We stick out into the North Sea which sometimes brings its own weather patterns. Most of the snow has gone and we are only receiving incoming hail at the moment.
Jude, the nettle stings are destroyed by the cooking. They are not permanent. It just tastes fresh and green, spinach-like I suppose.
I realised we will continue the Wisconsin theme tonight. We're having buffalo (American bison) steaks. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 24 Nov , 2008 8:54 pm

Are we talking the same kind of nettles we have here in North America?

<checks>

Looks like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle" target="_blank

(It's an interesting article, btw.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 115 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: