The Last Homely Site on the Web

Music club

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 12:11 am
Wembley bound

So are we analyzing one song at a time or can we comment on songs and post one at the same time?

About your last Sufjan Stevens song, it's beautiful. I have everything by Stevens so I'd heard it before. There's not much I can say that a Sufjan fan hasn't heard before. He has an absolutely incredible musical 6th sense. It's an amazing talent to be able to create music. I'd practically jump for joy when I'd write something new on the guitar that sounded like nothing I'd never heard before. Sufjan blends his voice and instruments together perfectly. Lyrics are always brilliant too!

To change the tone a bit I'll post one of my songs. Perhaps Yov will be the only one to understand it but here it goes. Heroes Del Silencio have long been my favorite band. In countries that listen to reggaeton and other forms of musical shyte there are a few brilliant Spanish rock bands. Heroes is one of them. They have plenty of songs that I could share but this is one of the first ones I really liked. It's off the album Avanlancha. If you want to hear more of them I suggest listening to anything off the Senderos De Traicion album.

LINK:

Heroes del Silencio - La chispa adequada

I'd love to hear what you think of it. :)

ETA: I decided to add a couple more songs for those who liked the last one:

Heroes del Silencio - La Herida

Both are reletively calm songs. For something more aggresive try:

Heroes del Silencio - Nuestros nombres

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 12:48 am
Everything Is Numb

You know yov, this is going to sound really nerdy, but really beautiful music really touches me and even make me tear up. I don't know why, I guess because I'm extra nerdy or something, but that song you posted did that to me. Even the end of the song grew on me. I looked Sufjan Stephens up on Rhapsody and I see he also sang my most favorite Christmas carol of all time, O Come, O Come Emanuel (sheer beauty), but sadly I have run out of free plays for this month, so I have to wait to hear it in its entirity.

~Sid

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 1:32 am

Goodness, Sid, why would you ever put yourself for being moved by music! That doesn't make you nerdy, it makes you human! It makes you real! I'm very glad you were touched by it. :hug:

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 1:46 am
Wembley bound

yovargas wrote:
Goodness, Sid, why would you ever put yourself for being moved by music! That doesn't make you nerdy, it makes you human! It makes you real! I'm very glad you were touched by it. :hug:
Ditto. That's what music is all about! If it doesn't move us in some way then it has most likely failed (for one's personal tastes).

Here's a "cute" story. I was around 6 years old and my mother and I were driving to Winnipeg to visit my grandparents and on the way my mom was playing the Canadian production of the Phantom of the Opera. Two things before I continue, I actually don't remember this and I still believe that Colm Wilkinson was the best phantom ever. Apparently while we were listening to the Phantom mom looked over at me and I was crying (not really crying, more like I had tears in my eyes). She asked why I was crying and I said it was because the music was so beautiful. When we returned home my mother told my father that they had to take me to see the Phantom in Toronto (they had already been two or three times). They took me and I loved it! :)

Come to think of it, I probably should have sat down one day and start crying and when asked why I was crying I'd say, "it's just that four-wheelers are so beautiful!" ;)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 1:52 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I bawled my head off at the show in London, and usually get pretty worked up listening to any of the recordings I own, so I totally sympathize. Phantom is love.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:08 am
Everything Is Numb

I almost always get teary eyed at the part at the very end where the Phantom sings the reprise of Masquarade and then Christine comes back to give him her ring and he sings, "Christine, I love you." Awwww! :( Beautiful!

yov, I looked up the lyrics to Sister Winter, and just wow! How beautiful they are. I wish I could write like that. Simple, but profound.

~Sid

P.S. That was a wonderful story, TWT. It kind of reminds me of the time when I first read Charlotte's Web to my daughter and I could hardly read the end because I was crying. I still think I am a big nerd for stuff like that!

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 5:39 am
Wembley bound

Sid, I read the book Where the red fern grows when I was about 13 or so and simply bawled my freakin' eyes out at the end. What a story! It's not to say that certain music or literature isn't good, but it shows which is outstanding when it really affects people in the deepest way, cutting right into their emotions.

I love all versions of the Phantom, if you like as well Sid then I'd recommend listening to the Canadian production. Colm Wilkinson doesn't have the range nor the power Crawford has but IMHO he captures the emotions much more vividly than any other I've heard sing the part.

Oooohh. I found a link on youtube: Angel of music. Does that ever bring back memories! I never knew they taped it...

More! :love: :love: :love:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 5:54 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Yeah, too bad Sid's not a Phan or anything. :devil:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 12:53 pm
Everything Is Numb

HeeHee E*!!

TWT, Oh yes Where the Red Fern Grows...I read it when I was ten and bawled like a baby at the end. It's weird because I try to be unemotional and stoic, but a lot of things affect me deeply. It seems to have gotten worse the older I've got, it seems to be tied directly into life experience for me. Like just last night I was watching Six Feet Under (which I don't watch very often so I don't know too much about it) and I started crying during the death scene at the opening. If done well I almost always tear up at death scenes either in books or movies...I don't like the thought of people or animals dying, even fictional ones.

~Sid

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:06 pm
stranded in dreamland

Sidonzo wrote:
I almost always get teary eyed at the part at the very end where the Phantom sings the reprise of Masquarade and then Christine comes back to give him her ring and he sings, "Christine, I love you." Awwww! :( Beautiful!
Me, too!!! I thought that I was the only one who was geeky enough to get emotional over that!

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:10 pm
Everything Is Numb

Lily, you are among equals here in b77! Feel the geeky love!! :D

:grouphug:

~Sid

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:25 pm

Or in Sid's case - the geeky gropes. :Q :neutral:

When the movie of Phantom came out in theaters I couldn't go see it. But a friend of mine had the movie soundtrack and burnt it for me.

I listened to it for weeks - I could really sympathize with the Phantom at that point 'cause of some stuff I was working through emotionally.

And then the movie came out on DVD and I finally got to watch it. I didn't cry while watching the movie.....but I went home and cried for about two hours.

I :love: :love: :love: :love: it.

But - the stuff that tends to move me to tears is the stuff no one else really thinks is sad...and the stuff I think is romantic no one else does...so, I'm probably definitely a geek.

The music from Phantom scared my cat. :LMAO:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:39 pm
Everything Is Numb

Quote:
and the stuff I think is romantic no one else does
I think sim zombies are the epitome of romance! :love: So you don't have to feel that your romantic tendicies are weird, because mine are probably weirder. ;)

And there is NOTHING weird about thinking The Phantom of the Opera is romantic!!! Tons of people do!

~Sid

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:48 pm

I don't think it's THAT romantic...just some parts that no one else even thinks verges on romantic.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 2:55 pm
Everything Is Numb

Like what??!!

I'm interested!! (I may agree ;) )

~Sid

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 3:13 pm

I haven't seen it since it first came out on DVD...I don't really remember anymore.

But you know - the whole idea...he wrote an opera, practically for her! He poured his soul into something and then gave it to her. That's the sweetest thing ever.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 3:43 pm

And the fact that she still rebuffs him makes it realistic. :P

The Phantom is my homey.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 3:55 pm

I think Christine is the epitomy of why I can't stand others in my gender.

She's so wish-washy....can't decide which one.

And the Phantom is the only reason the other guy (Raul?) even found her again.

Stupid wimmen.

I would've stayed with the Phantom. :love:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 4:10 pm

You guys should have this split off into a Phantom thread since I'm sure there are other fans who like to talk about it.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 5:02 pm
Everything Is Numb

Quote:
I think Christine is the epitomy of why I can't stand others in my gender.

She's so wish-washy....can't decide which one.

And the Phantom is the only reason the other guy (Raul?) even found her again.

Stupid wimmen.
Hey not all of us are stupid and wishy-washy! Damn stereotypes! :rage: I will rage against stereotypes about women (and all types of people) until the day I die! :P

And yes the fact that the Phantom wrote an opera for Christine is totally romantic! :love: And I would have chosen the Phantom over Raoul anyday!! And I like Christine too. I think in her heart she was as weird and as dark as the Phantom. That is why she was so attracted to him, but in the end gave in to societal pressure to choose the "right" guy and live a normal life.

~Sid

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: