The Last Homely Site on the Web

Too little, too late.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
halplm
Post subject: Too little, too late.
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:13 pm
b77 whipping boy

I've thought a lot about what's gone on the last couple of months. I don't pretend to understand all of why it happened. However, I am certain that my actions set fire to brush that was just waiting to burst into flame.

I can't do anything about that now. However, I can admit I was wrong. Very wrong. The people who have been saying "what the hell are you people talking about, it's just the bikeracks, lets move on" are right. They've been right from day one. And all the other stuff that got tied into it... irrelevant really.

As much as I've been saying this place was supposed ot be about mutual respect and working together, I've not done that. People saying I haven't once stepped up to help form the charter, be a ranger, be on a jury... all of you are right. I've said we all have to work together, but I've always wanted others to work while I watched. This wasn't out of some fear of people thinking I wanted control. It was simply because I did not want to spend my time running a message board. Well, I'll have to change that mentality.

I can't say I've changed my opinions about how this board should run. However, my conduct in trying to express those opinions for the last couple of months has been beyond unacceptable. If there's any time personal differences should be set aside it's in deciding how this place should work as a collective. I've thought of all different reasons for why I acted the way I did... partly a fear of what happened at TORC happening again... partly the thought that this place wasn't what I had hoped it would be... two concepts which are opposites of each other. I can't tell you how many times I started arguing a point, and then thought 10 minutes later that I kind of wanted to argue the opposite. Well, not the opposite position, but a very different way of doing things.

I should have joined the committee since it mattered to me so much. I should have participated in my hearing. I should have gone forward with complaints or hearings I thought were justified as well, even if they never went anywhere. I shouldn't have done what I did that caused my hearing to be called. I should have known the bikeracks thread would bother Cerin and not had anything to do with it. I should have listened to friends who told me to back off and take some time away.

I don't pretend to think this post will build any bridges with people that have left, are thinking of leaving, or just plain don't like me. I hope a flood of my friends don't come in here and say how much they agree with me and think I'm great (just PM me if you want to ;) ). However, the bonds of friendship formed here, even among the bitterest of enemies elsewhere, are not so easily broken. I'm willing to take my share of the blame for all of this, but I hope every single other person active on this board is willing to take their share as well. Yes, even people that stayed away. The only reason this board was ever worth anything was the group of poeple here, acting as a group, as one thing with many different parts. If it fails, we all fail.

That's why people starting their own board hurts. That's why every time I thought of starting my own board, I just couldn't think of any way to do it while B77 still was here. We were a group, and we lost that. Why we lost it doesn't matter. We have to find it again to rebuild this place. I don't know how we can find it again, but I will try and help as best I can. No more talk of leaving. No more talk of who's right or wrong. Just moving forward.

I have called all of you here friends. It wasn't just about not being TORC. It was because we were together, even when we didn't agree. That's not something I've seen anywhere else.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:20 pm

Oh my God...Hal.

You're wrong. This WILL build bridges.

:hug:

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:22 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are open spots on the committee.

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:23 pm
I love lamp!

And you can always put your name in the pot for Ranger duty. :)

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Incurable
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:31 pm
The man...The Kilt...The POWER!

Hal, I have never met you nor even talked with you. But because Wolfy calls you friend, I would be honored to be able to call you the same.

Inky

[ img ]
'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.'

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:34 pm
Best friends forever

Well, halplm, you can have my spot as Ranger. How's that? Let Eruname know, she'll fix you up.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:36 pm
b77 whipping boy

I have talked to Eru about adding myself to the Ranger pool. I am at the bottom of the list, though.

If whoever's managing the Committee list in the business room wants to add me, please do. I'll be there in 9 days.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:41 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

I have always believed the price to be paid for wisdom is pain. Given what you have experienced, I believe you may have some come due to you.

Now get your ass on the charter committee. Take what you have learned and apply it.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:41 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

PM Fixer he'll hook ya up :)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:52 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

:clap:

It takes a hell of a person to not only admit to themselves when they are wrong, but to publically state it.

You're a big man halplm. Er...I mean...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:56 pm

It takes an even bigger person to say 'I was wrong' and not add 'BUT...'.

Because we all fear that if we admit to being wrong about some things, all that we have tried to do right will be forgotten, and we will be labeled complete wrongdoers.

Untrue. :)

Hal, you are a gentleman.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 5:59 pm

I added Hal to the committee list.
TheMary wrote:
PM Fixer he'll hook ya up :)
Ok, when the hell did I get put in charge of this thing? :scarey:

:help:

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:00 pm
b77 whipping boy

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but I'm not saying these things to be a bigger man, or a gentleman, or anything else. It's about my mistakes and what I can do in the future, not what people think of me.

I just don't want anyone to think I'm saying all this to try and make people think better of me.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:00 pm

Sorry Fixer :oops:

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:02 pm
Wembley bound

Rodia wrote:
Oh my God...Hal.

You're wrong. This WILL build bridges.

:hug:
Well its about time the bridge of Khazad-Dum got fixed. Not that you were the balrog Hal.

Hey I've never had beef with you here or on TORC hal but I think this thread is brilliant. I've stayed out of everything here because I fucked up relationships with people (mostly the ones who moved here) on TORC and I realized that sometimes you should either keep quiet or stand up for your friends and not necessarily for what is "right", I did neither of those things on TORC.

That chapter has closed though and I'm proud to call myself a B77er. :)

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:05 pm

TheMary wrote:
Sorry Fixer :oops:
Just for that, I am cancelling the male stripper I was sending you for Christmas.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:07 pm

Quote:
I just don't want anyone to think I'm saying all this to try and make people think better of me.
Okay, I think you're a huge asshole. Does that make you feel better?

;)

(well done)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:08 pm
b77 whipping boy

Much :D

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:10 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

:damnfunny: :damnfunny:

not to make light, but that was just damn funny yov....

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:10 pm

I understand why you are doing this hal, not just because I'm your friend, but because I've made some of the same mistakes you have. Birds of a feather....

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: