board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Santa / Christmas - what's it to you?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
*Alandriel*
Post subject: Santa / Christmas - what's it to you?
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 10:03 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Santa or St.Nicholas (Niklaus/Samichlaus as I remember it from childhood) is an integral part of Christmas.
Prompted by my daughters enquires (bless kids and their one million questions :D ) and something I saw on TV the other day (namely, his image having been created by Coca Cola :Q) I did some digging.

I was somewhat familiar with the story of Saint Nicholas – this is the historical side of things and quite an interesting read if you have only a vague idea.

How he came to be as he is portrayed today is here, including the bit about Coca Cola's influence.

And this is how I remember it from when I was a kid clickety Those "Schmutzli's" once scared the sweet beejeebees out of me!

[ img ]
Samichlaus (St.Nicholas) & 'Schmutzli'

[ img ]
Schmutzli :Q

Do you have some special / strange and wonderful customs where you live involving Santa and Christmas?

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 11:38 am
I can't count but I'm cute

St.Nicolas (Sinterklaas) is celebrated on the 5th of december here. Usually it's said Sinterklaas is Santa Claus'brother ;) just to stop the kiddies from asking why he looks so much like that other red dude.

Sinterklaas basically is Santa Claus minus the reindeer and the sleigh. he rides a white horse and comes from Spain with a boat with hundreds of helpers.

I loved that fest :D too bad it's just for children :love:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 4:13 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Alandriel, I literally felt my heart jump into my throat at the Schmutzli photo.

Um, what are they supposed to be? :Q

Jae, Sinterklaas sounds so cool!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:04 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Damned missionaries and their holidays....

*puts on his warpaint and grabs his bow and tomahawk and goes to scalp him some missionaries*

(Side note: Sinfest rocks!)

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 6:32 pm
Insolent Pup

I have Santa Claus... being the boring American I am.

I don't think I want Schmutzli coming into my house to deliver me anything.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 8:35 pm

The Samichlaus brings fruits (usually mandarine /tangerines) nuts (walnuts, almonds or peanuts), chocolates and a cake-like cookie for the kids- if they are good.
If they have 'not' been good, the Schmutzli has bunch of branches tied together- a 'Fitze' to whup the kids into shape(if you look in the baskets behind the two Schmutzlis in Alandriel's picture, you'll see their weapons of correction)... or just the threat so they'll shape up and behave.
These guys travel around on the 6th of December through the villages or visit the classrooms and dump their bagful of goodies on the floor for all the kids.

For me, I love the Advents Calenders- opening up a new 'window' every day (or if the village does it- going around and seeing the decorated windows, a new one for each of the 24 days before Christmas). And the lighting in the cities are awesome. In Schaffhausen it looks like the stars have come down from the skies, strings of lights are strung between the shops over the pedestrian zone.
It is one of the few times in the year where I do lots of baking, making special cookies and candies for the holidays.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 9:32 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

There ya go *E*, Crys has answered your question. :D
Not that they actually ever end up whipping anyone (not these days I'd think anyways) but often they also carry heavy belts studded with jiggling bells and they make an awesome racket.... enough to turn any naughty kid into an angel almost instantly :D ..... trust me, I know ;)

CS :hug: the village does advent windows? Now that is such a lovely idea. Never seen it myself. Next year I really must be better prepared and do a little calendar myself. The commercial choccie one's just don't do it.
As a kid I used to have a stack of 24/25 empty matchboxes glued together and nicely decorated with silver paper and stars and each day I would be able to open one. I think Yo would enjoy that too :D

Jae: the day you really stop having a little kid inside of you will be a sad day ;) Though festivals like this might be more for kids, you and any grown-up can enjoy them just as much :D

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 10:36 pm
wencherific

Schmutzli? :Q :Q

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a