Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 3 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 541 »
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 3:42 pm
A maiden young and sad

Quote:
I think I'd like to extend the bit in the garden, as he's not going to dash towards Éowyn and the kids once he sees them. I think he's going to take a moment and just watch them
Ahh, a few minutes for reflection/contemplation. Very Faramir-esque that is. ;)
Quote:
Though I imagine that half the Guards and Rohirrim hanging about Dol Arandur are in love with her to some extent
I'm not sure about the Guards, but I know the Rohirrim would do some pretty absurd things for her without a second's thought if she asked them.

LOL, Ulmo the fish amuses me. The name is so fitting for him.

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 10:07 pm

Ulmo is cool. He's the supreme ruler of the pond :D

Alright, next post is coming up. I was away most of the day (even got stuck in traffic for about an hour on our way back home from the rehab), and when I finally had some time to write a post, there was a massive thunderstorm so I didn't turn on the computer to prevent it from getting fried.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 6:26 am

‘It is good to have to back, lad,’ he said, quite moved. ‘ - this line is missing the word "you" ("It is good to have you back, lad").

But the rest is wonderful - Faramir being fussed over by Aragorn and Imrahil :) - Awwww. He deserves it! Can I come aboard with some chicken soup? :love: :love: Maybe a little clam chowder? Faramir's gradual realization that he is finally safe is well-done; hope he gets a good rest for the next few days. And he shouldn't throw himself into 18-hour workdays immediately after returning to Dol Arandur; let him delegate a few responsibilities and get his strength back.

I hate that AJ got away, but at least he got hurt - he deserves far worse :rage: ! Where's that Oliphaunt?! :devil:

More soon, please! :cheerleader:

RAKSHA THE DEMON :dragon:

"And it is I, Raksha [the Demon] who answer!"

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 7:21 am

Raksha The Demon wrote:
‘It is good to have to back, lad,’ he said, quite moved. ‘ - this line is missing the word "you" ("It is good to have you back, lad").

Argh, that's what you get for typing at night, I guess. Gonna change this immediately.

Quote:
And he shouldn't throw himself into 18-hour workdays immediately after returning to Dol Arandur; let him delegate a few responsibilities and get his strength back.

If he attempts throw himself into work as soon as he's home, he's going to be in worse trouble than anything AJ did to him, be assured of that. Éowyn will give him pure hell ;)

Quote:
I hate that AJ got away, but at least he got hurt - he deserves far worse :rage: ! Where's that Oliphaunt?! :devil:

Well, it's not said they haven't caught him ... :devil:

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 1:44 pm

AJ has been captured? Hooray! :clap: Hope they tie his hands behind his back and push him around, while he's wounded, let him see how he likes it...Don't let him be confined on Falastur's ship; he would probably make some kind of deal with Falastur to escape and later assasinate Faramir, or try...

Any way that you and LoR can wrap up the story before the weekend, without stinting on the quality or number of the posts? Don't mind me, I'm just being pushy.

Very smart of Aragorn to bring some tea along in the boat, btw. I assume they'll have some fresh clothing in Faramir's size too - a change from the Umbarian/Haradrim outfits he had to wear as AJ's "prize".

RAKSHA THE DEMON, waiting for more :D

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:07 pm
A maiden young and sad

Ok, need some help here from those who are spying on our story and not commenting (unless it's one of us 3 refreshing the thread 20 times ;)) or the regular commentators.

I'm trying to decide what Gondorian nobility cart their infants around in, like a baby stroller or a pram, etc..and what would you call it (e.g. you don't call a docter a doctor in M-E, you call them healers.)

I've gone through the list of baby carriage, baby stroller, pram, etc... and the only one I don't wince at too badly is pram, but even that sounds a bit too snooty, in my twisted sense of opinion.

Would they even have such a contraption in M-E?

:help:

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:24 pm

I'm not very knowledgeable about medieval furniture and baby accessories; but I think you could call the conveyance a "baby-cart" and let the reader's imagination do the rest. I saw that term in a graphic novel (i.e. fancy comic book with heavy paper) about a Japanese samurai who journeyed through pre-industrial Japan with his toddler in tow; they called him the 'baby-cart assasin' occasionally. The samurai wheeled the kid in a small wooden cart (might have had three wheels, two in the back, or maybe four, I can't remember, but it was like a very basic wooden pram, with a little room for the toddler's stuff...Or you could call it a wagon (Tolkien used the term "wains" in Gondor). Wouldn't Eowyn have a nurse or maid holding the babies or standing by to help?

RAKSHA THE DEMON :cool:

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 2:46 pm
A maiden young and sad

Hmm, ideas, ideas.

I had thought about going with a maid, but then I also had to find a way to get her out of there before Faramir showed up.

Actually... I think I may have just found a way.

Thanks for the help! :)

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 4:34 pm

Well, they can always go and pick strawberries or be sent away to fetch something ;)

Will post in a short while.

Oh, and as for wrapping up the story before the weekend, I doubt that's going to work. I will be gone for the entire weekend and return on Sunday evening. I may manage to get another post done tomorrow morning (apart from the one coming today), but no more.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Jun , 2005 11:42 pm

Two lovely posts! :D

The interlude with Eomer and Elboron and Eowyn was very well-written, and bittersweet. Eowyn is riding out the storm, her love for her children strengthening her...

In an earlier post, LoR had Eowyn speak to baby Merry in her native tongue, presumably the Eorling language. It's natural that she would want to do so, but I wonder if she does it all the time; and in what language she speaks to Elboron, who is learning to talk now. I would think that it would be important for the kids to speak Westron as their first language, Sindarin as their second, since they will grow up in Ithilien. They could easily become tri-lingual and learn Rohirric as well. But even Eowyn would agree that the next Steward of Gondor should not speak Westron or Sindarin with an Eorling accent....

And Faramir is nearing the end of his long and painful journey. :horse: I didn't quite believe, though, that he harbored so little rancor towards AJ. I didn't expect him to want to personally torture AJ, but Faramir's feelings sound too impersonal. Even if I could believe that Faramir is too focussed on Eowyn right now to wallow in anger, there should be more anger in his voice and heart towards AJ, if for no other reason that AJ did his best to murder Eowyn and the children, and came very close to succeeding.

Wouldn't Aragorn want to try healing Faramir of the residue of the poison, or of what the poison has done to him, or at least to try? Or, since the healing would probably take some of his strength, is Aragorn waiting until the hunt for AJ is over and he can work on Faramir at his leisure? I view Aragorn as a healer superior to Teherin, so I would think he would at least use his special healer's power to at least check him out....

Profile Quote
Eldamir
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 12:19 am

Just want to say that this is a wonderful story, and that you are both doing an amazing job writing it! The letters were superb- you did a great job of keeping them like letters that Faramir and Éowyn would have written, while still letting us know what was really going on at the same time, and with great subtelty and skill.

And now you have us all eagerly waiting for the next additions!

Hmm, Raksha, I don't know, I think that Faramir is a very practical man when it comes down to it, and he realizes that anger is only going to spoil things. Besides, he has kind of already had his revenge in not allowing Marek to get what he wanted to out of the entire escapade- in fact, playing a major part in bringing his ruin. That's what I think, anyways..

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 6:00 am

Thank you very much for your kind words, Eldamir :)

As for Faramir's feelings towards AJ, I imagined that at the moment he has indeed other things on his mind, and that he hasn't really thought in depth about the whole matter. I'm sure there are going to be moments of anger lateron, after things have settled a little, and he has learned more about how his loved ones fared at home, and moreover when he witnesses daily life and e.g. watches his children play, and realises what AJ has deprived him of for so long.

Most likely Aragorn and Teherin are going to do a thorough health check once Faramir has recovered from his other injuries and from general exhaustion. At the moment I doubt they'd be able to tell what may still be caused by a residue of the poison.

Got another post drafted and am going to reread it now. Hopefully I can post it before I have to leave for work.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 6:27 am

Much as I'm desperate to read more, I will really, really be sorry to see this wonderful story end. I hope there will be a few posts after Faramir and Eowyn meet again; general joy and jubilation at Dol Arandur, happy Eomer, Faramir meeting Azrahil again, and Pharzi, Faramir getting to know the twins, the big feast underway, the King and Imrahil stopping by... :)

Minor thing that just occured to me about Faramir's sword-wounds (and any cuts he might have incurred when he was caught on the cliffs by AJ's hunters) - exposure to the salt water, when Faramir jumped into the sea and nearly drowned, would have been an excellent disinfectant and cleaning agent for those wounds.

Looking forward to more when you get to it. Anke, I hope your mother is doing well! :cheers

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 6:44 am

We visited her again on Wednesday, and she surprised us all by being able to walk, with the assistance of a person holding her. But that's a big improvement, and it's likely that in a few weeks she'll be allowed to return home.

You are right, there are many lose ends to tie up still, so I don't think the story is going to end with the reunion.

Well, finished the post. It's going to be out of turn, but I hope that's ok. I'm going to get rid of Mablung, too, of course ;)

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 7:43 am

What a wonderful post! I was grinning while reading it. Loved the reaction of the "resolute" woman when she realized Lord Faramir had returned, and Falborn being too astonished to speak. Faramir had better hurry and find Eowyn; word is going to spread around Dol Arandur very quickly.

If Faramir looks like a shadow of himself after three days of rest, he must have looked awful when Aragorn and Imrahil saved him. I hope he doesn't spook the kids, that would break Faramir's heart. I like how he's feeling apprehensive; he and Eowyn have endured so much pain while they've been apart...I wonder if Aragorn, or Zinizigur, have told Faramir to be physically careful, since his heart may have been damaged - sudden shock and stress wouldn't be good for him. Of course, poor Faramir has gone through a lot of stress in the last few weeks...

I would think that once Mablung realizes that Faramir is not going to faint on seeing Eowyn, he'll be happy to leave, or at least go out of sight but within earshot or something...

It's great that your mother is walking! Hope she comes home soon.

RAKSHA :cool:

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 2:19 pm
A maiden young and sad

Thanks, Eldamir! :) We do our best.

Yes, it will be bittersweet when the tale ends, but then maybe I'll have more motivation to work on Teherin's Secret. :D

Great post, Khorazir! I had to change the location of the ponds a bit, but I like them where they are now better anyway. I think we should someday draw-up the layout of the garden for future reference, otherwise we may end up with one of the most massive, randomly-placed garden in M-E history. ;)

I've managed to ditch Rian. And no, I'm not planning on cutting off Elboron's fingers or toes or nose. :cool:

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eldamir
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 10:10 pm

The new posts were all excellent! You've got me extremely eager to see the rest!

I think it's a good decision to not cut off Elboron's appendages :LMAO: Faramir walks in, sees Eowyn feeding fingers to his fish... :devil: (I'm done.)

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 2:33 pm

Now that shock would surely finish him ;) Loved Éowyn's interaction with the kids, and her tale about her husband's childhood pranks. And it's nice that there are birches growing near the ponds. I like birches :)

Well, I'm back from a very enjoyable weekend (attended the annual meeting of the German Tolkien Society, which is always great fun). I'm quite tired, but I'll try and get a post written now.

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 3:02 pm
A maiden young and sad

ALLEZ LANCE!!!!!

Ok, getting back on topic.

Good to have you back, Khor. Sounds like you had a good time with the GTS. :)

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 3:41 pm

Yes, LoR; that was an awfully sweet post. Loved Eowyn's interaction with her kids, it felt real as well as sweet. I think she's going to be an awfully happy woman in a few minutes - but she should have kept Rian around to watch the kids so they don't fall in the pond while Eowyn gets distracted by the return of a certain someone. And I think the descriptions by LoR and Khorazir of the trees and flowers in Ithilien are excellent, btw...

Only one quibble - security is very lax in Dol Arandur - are they really so certain of AJ's moods that they forget he nearly had Eowyn and the children killed not so long ago? Shouldn't there be some guards at a discrete distance? Especially now, when Faramir's fate is in doubt and Elboron could be the Prince of Ithilien?

I do think that Elboron needs a puppy; or a big gentle dog that will tolerate being chased and hugged. Eomer can't hang around forever as his nephew's favorite huggy-bear; he's got a kingdom to run.

More, more! :)

Yikes, is the Tour de France starting already? Can Lance do it again? I hope so; and if he does win, I hope he has the sense to quit that particular race afterward...What a guy though, going through that ghastly illness and then winning the Tour six times.

RAKSHA :cool:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 541 »
Jump to: