board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Visa Woes Concluded-Hey USA!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 196 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Rodia
Post subject: The Visa Woes Concluded-Hey USA!
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 10:29 am

edit: :D I got it.

No, I don't actually mean to ask what a fiance is, I know that. And no, this isn't yet another spoof marriage thread, nor a serious one. See if you can help me.

I want to go see Gimli in California this summer, I've been mock-filling out my tourist visa application, just to make sure I know how to do it when I finally decide to do it (sometime later in April, no rush). Everything is simple enough, yada yada, except when I arrive at this question:

"Are any of the following persons in the U.S. , or do they have U.S. legal permanent residence or U.S. citizenship?

Husband/Wife
Father/Mother
Fiance/Fiancee
Son/Daughter
Brother/Sister"

Chris and I are not engaged, but I don't know of any formal way to be engaged. It's always an agreement between two people, is it not? There's no way to make it formal by law...So...does boyfriend equal fiance here, or not? If I wrote that the purpose of my trip is to see my boyfriend, do I mark all of these 'no' or do I mark the fiance 'yes'? Or would that look bad, like I'm trying to elope? Or do I just leave it at boyfriend? Or should I write that the purpose of my trip is to see my fiance? Which he is not? But it should be the same?

:rage:

Eru, Iavas, any ideas? :help:

(I've also been told by my cousin who's going to see his mum in New York that even if I get a visa for two months here, like I want to, they can still stamp me only a week at the airport when I arrive. :bawl: That's not fair! It really makes me feel like some unwanted pest. *kicks country borders* Fingerprinting...questions...never a guarantee...if I make a bad impression on the immigration officer across the sea he can turn me right back home. Oh, I know I shouldn't worry, I'm not the most suspicious person around, but it's driving me crazy that there are so many obstacles...what if the immigration officer had a bad lunch or hates Poles or is single and jealous or just doesn't like my face? Raghhh... )

Last edited by Rodia on Thu 12 May , 2005 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:07 am
Milk and kisses

Rodia, as I understand it, an engagement is a verbal agreement to get married, and there's usually a ring involved. ;) I have no clue how you could prove that you're *not* engaged, but your conscience is perfectly clear if you say that no, you don't have a fiancé in the US, since you aren't engaged formally. Boyfriend does not equal fiancé. :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:09 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh Rodia :hug: I have never filled out a visa before. I have no clue as to what to do. Here's hoping somone will give you advice. I shudder at the thought of immigration officers. I remember going to St.Kitt's where they manually search your luggage. They have a desk and a military guard and you put you luggae (suitcases too) on the desk where they open it and go through your stuff. You know how embarassing it is if you overpack and can't close the suitcase? Aw frell!!! *shudder*

I am sure they will let you in though. I do not think you have too much to worry about. :)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:17 am
Garrulous Griffon

Rodia - you do know that I'm wildly interested in knowing exactly what is required for this whole visa thing, don't you? :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:33 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

If you don't have an engagement ring, it's possibly best not to claim you have a fiance. ;)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:40 am
Per aspera ad astra

I can borrow you a ring, if it increases your chances to get a visa - now that I have a wedding ring, I don't wear my engagement ring any more.

I would say, whatever gives you the best chances for a visa, tell it!

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:43 am

That's what I think, Leoba, and Ber...but I wanted to see what others thought...just to be sure... I don't want to stretch the truth or anything. If fiance is not the same thing as boyfriend in their terms, then that solves the problem.

It probably doesn't matter, but I'm just so worried that something will go wrong. :(

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:44 am
Per aspera ad astra

Rodia - check your PMs NOW!!!!!!! And come for five minutes to yahoo if you can!

I need someone to talk to!!!!!

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 11:51 am

:banana: Nin! Nin! Nin! :banana:

(just to make everyone curious)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 12:38 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Ok, curious.........and waiting :Q

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 12:54 pm

:clap: for Nin and that's all I'm sayin'. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 2:01 pm
of Vinyamar

Oh, come on... there should be a law against keeping us all in suspense like this!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 2:07 pm

I'm bound to secrecy, if not by promise then by fear of Nin's wrath. :Q I already worry that I've gotten you all too curious... when it's her business to talk about it...and...I've really put my foot in it now haven't I.

Um...just wait for Nin to get back here.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 2:39 pm
His Rosyness

Ro, I'm afraid I can't help you because I went to the US under the visa-waiver program that allowed me to stay for 30 days without a visa. I was still question by an immigration officer when I arrived about the purpose of my trip. It was fine that Eru was only my girlfriend and not my fiancee. But I don't know if you'd need a better reason for a 2-month visa. I would advise you to find a visa forum and ask there.

Anyway, best of luck! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks Iavas...damn you visa waiver people. :rage: No fair...are we EU or are we not?

:p

I don't think it will make much of a difference in how they see me...but I just want everything to be perfect on there. When I applied for a visa to Canada they gave me one for six months even though I only needed two weeks...I think they were just dumbstruck by my Purpose of Visit: Gathering of Tolkien Fans.

:P

I need to relax.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 2:58 pm

Um...this looks pretty easy to me.

The form asks if you have a fiance who is a U.S. citizen. You say you are not engaged. Therefore, the answer is no.

I hope you have no problems with the visa and enjoy your visit. :)

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 3:04 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

Rodia,

I would suggest that you not check that "fiance" box. It will draw far more scrutiny than a simple tourist visa request. US Immigration officials tend to be very interested when they hear someone is coming to the US to marry - it's the one sure way around restrictions on permanent residency.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 3:23 pm

Smart people.

Wampus...it seems simple. It is simple. Were I not terrified of making a mistake.

:p :oops: :D :Wooper: :blackeye

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 3:51 pm
bioalchemist

Unless he's proposed and you've said yes, gimli's not your fiance. So don't check the box.

They'll probably get more anxious if you DO check the fiance box because they'll be afraid you're trying to become an illegal immigrant. It might be best to downplay gimli as much as possible when talking to the visa people.

I have no idea what sort of bug this country has up its butt with regards to visas. It seems kinda unfair that I can go just about anywhere without a visa, or if I need a visa I can just pick it up at the airport, but we require visas from just about everyone else, including most of the EU. :roll:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2005 3:53 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ethel is correct. The assumption at most consular offices is that fiance status leads to married status leads to immigration, and a whole different set of issues.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 196 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: