board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

VOTE ON WHEN TO OPEN THE BOARD - RESOLVED!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Assuming that all issues regarding HOW to open are resolved separately, I would like to see board77 open (please note that the total votes for each of the first six choices will carry over to the next choice):
Poll ended at Tue 17 May , 2005 12:11 am
1. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the admins are ratified;

22% [ 15 ]
2. As soon as the charter provisions regarding dispute resolution are ratified;

4% [ 3 ]
3. As soon as the charter provisions regarding members rights and responsibilities are ratified;

35% [ 24 ]
4. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the mission statement, purpose and goals are ratified;

16% [ 11 ]
5. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the office of the Mayor are ratified;

3% [ 2 ]
6. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the ownership of the board are ratified;

14% [ 10 ]
7. I do not want board77 to open in the foreseeable future.

6% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 69
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 3:53 pm

Votes...

Voted. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 5:23 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Hey . . . Formerly Umlauted Wonder . . . just wanted to point out that the percentages shown on the poll results are mostly wrong in that the board's program is truncating rather than rounding . . . this has a very significant chance of influencing where the 80% cut-off is . . . I believe that, when all votes are in, the percentages will need to be hand-calculated.

EDITED TO PROVIDE EXAMPLE:

Here are the numbers as they stood with 36 votes in:

1. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the admins are ratified;
25% [ 9 ]
2. As soon as the charter provisions regarding dispute resolution are ratified;
2% [ 1 ]
3. As soon as the charter provisions regarding members rights and responsibilities are ratified;
41% [ 15 ]
4. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the mission statement, purpose and goals are ratified;
8% [ 3 ]
5. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the office of the Mayor are ratified;
2% [ 1 ]
6. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the ownership of the board are ratified;
13% [ 5 ]
7. I do not want board77 to open in the foreseeable future.
5% [ 2 ]

Here are the cumulative results, with the first column representing the program's calculations, the second column representing standard rounding and the number in brackets representing the cumulative number of votes:

1.-- 25% . . . . . 25% [ 9 ]
2.-- 27% . . . . . 28% [ 10 ]
3.-- 68% . . . . . 69% [ 25 ]
4.-- 76% . . . . . 78% [ 28 ]
5.-- 78% . . . . . 81% [ 29 ]
6.-- 91% . . . . . 94% [ 34 ]
7.-- 96% . . . . . 100% [ 36 ]

[EDITED AGAIN TO DELETE WHAT I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO BE A SNEAKY WAY OF GETTING ALL THE WAY DOWN TO #4 AS THE WINNER, BUT IT ONLY WORKED WHEN THERE WERE 35 VOTES CAST -- THE 36TH VOTE MADE THE ROUNDING MORE ACCURATE -- DRATS!!! :x :x :x]

Last edited by TORN on Mon 09 May , 2005 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 5:28 pm

voted for asap

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 5:54 pm
Living in hope

TORN, in following the vote I multiply the total by 0.8, round up to the next whole number, and count up the votes until I reach that number. The percentages are deifinitely misleading (at the moment they add up to 96%!).

Edit: TOOORRRRRNNNN! :x :x :x :x :x

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 6:10 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Primmy wrote:
TOOORRRRRNNNN! :x :x :x :x :x
Yes, my darling?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 6:17 pm
Living in hope

:salmon:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 7:03 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I personally don't mind if you round up to 80%, especially if going to the next choice takes you way beyond 80%.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 7:41 pm

Well the current vote presents an interesting dilemna. As it stands right now. choice 4 is at 78.3783783783783783783783783783784%. Choice 5, with only one vote, is at 80.5555555555555555555555555555556%. Does that single vote really constitute a consensus? I would see no way around declaring it to be so, if the vote were to end now. We can't change the rules after the vote has already started. 80% means 80% (of course, it were 79.7 or something like that, I think we could safely round it up).

It just goes to show how important it is that people vote. This is one election in which it can honestly be said that every single vote matters.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 7:49 pm
Insolent Pup

I voted for after mission statement is ratified because I do not think that without one we'll get any non-TORC related members (whether current, former or friends of TORCers) who will want to contribute to a site with no stated or obvious goal. TORC being an example of a site with an obvious goal: to discuss the works in any capacity of JRR Tolkien.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 7:53 pm

TED, that is good reasoning. :)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 8:03 pm
A green apple painted red

TED, I agree with your reasoning entirely, and would've voted that way if mission statement were #1 instead of being #4. I do think, however, that at first most of our new members would be TORCers or friends of b77ers, whatever we do. That might be a good thing, as it will give us time to adjust to the life on an open board with people we know.

BTW, I was the one who voted for #2. It's possible that a very few people will come here to make trouble, and it will help to be prepared.

Err... is that OK to put these "campaign statements" in the Poll thread? If not, let me know and I'll clean up after myself.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 8:11 pm
Insolent Pup

I was a bit surprised that mission statement was so far down on the poll choices myself. I thought it was important and should have been higher. But it is what it is.

I belong to very few online communities now (though a bit more than a year ago), but I certainly would not join a message board if there was no purpose to the site. I only joined b77 because I figured that the purpose was still in its inception and would come about later. Also, I was a bit surprised and kind of flattered that anyone would even invite me.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 8:11 pm

I don't see any reason why people should not be able to explain why they voted the way the did, if they so choose.

Frelga, I'm surprised that more people have not voted for that choice.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 8:21 pm
A green apple painted red

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
I only joined b77 because I figured that the purpose was still in its inception and would come about later. Also, I was a bit surprised and kind of flattered that anyone would even invite me.
[tangent]
IKWYM - surprised and flattered was exactly how I felt. :)

As for the purpose - for me that was the member list. This was the first time I joined a message board not for its subject matter but for the people who posted there. I suspect this will be the case with most of our initial newcomers.
[/tangent]
Voronwe wrote:
Frelga, I'm surprised that more people have not voted for that choice.
So am I. ;)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 8:25 pm
Insolent Pup

As long as people aren't asking for why and what you voted for, I agree with Voronwe.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 9:19 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
I was a bit surprised that mission statement was so far down on the poll choices myself. I thought it was important and should have been higher. But it is what it is.
TED, in order for this poll to work the way it was designed, the choices need to be in the order that they are being discussed in the convention. The admin article is finished and well on the way to being ratified, so it obviously needed to be the first choice. The dispute resolution article is what is being discussed now, so that needed to be next. The discussion about members rights and responsibilitiies is the next thing on the agenda after that. Obviously the poll results thus far demonstrate that many people feel this is the most important thing to be resolved before we open.

In the original agenda, the mission statement was the last thing to be discussed. I requested that it be moved up after members rights and responsibilities because I anticipated that it would be a benchmark that many people would consider important. And, as of now (40 votes), there is exactly an 80% consensus to open when those provisions are ratified.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 9:35 pm
Per aspera ad astra

How long will the poll still run?

Until the 17th I think?

Because I wait to vote to see if there is precisely a situation like this, where one vote might change things.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 9:42 pm
Thanks to Holby

I don't get it.

Edit

That is, how the cumulative voting reflects the will of the membership.

Last edited by Cerin on Mon 09 May , 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 9:48 pm

The poll should run until exactly 12:11 a.m. GMT on 5/17 (based on phbb's clock).

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 10:21 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

The 17th ... hm ... I'm wondering how far along we'll actually be by then.

Very close to finishing what's shaping up to be needed here.

We will have started member rights by the end of this week. They will probably go to a vote next Monday or Tuesday.

I don't know how long the Mission Statement will take, but Mission Statements are only supposed to be one or two paragraphs long. What will take longer, probably are the key principles and goals.

Well, we'll try to be as efficient as possible. We won't have all those things ratified by the end of May, just because of the discussion time requirements. But by mid-June ... that's not too bad, is it?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Jump to: