Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 12:07 am
Best friends forever

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
Berhael wrote:
Lidless, I'm shocked. :Q You haven't tried to do a play on words on this thread's title!
It doesn't need one.
To be honest, I thought it was an advertisement............ :D

Glad I was mistaken.

I failed my first driver exam (I was 30) because I couldn't tell the examiner where the switch for the hazard lights was. We never even left the parking lot.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 12:42 am
Sorcery in Action

LOL... Im glad Im not the only one with the gutter-based mind on this board :P :oops:

Iavas, dont worry... Im one of them types who doesnt drive yet...somehow I missed my chance earlier because I thought I had no time for it, and now Im not sure when and how I will get my license, but its something I gotta do sooner or later (sooner prefferably)...
Ive had friends who failed the road test several times before passing finally.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:39 pm
His Rosyness

Failed again, and this time it felt much worse. I was more nervous than the first time and failed straight away on the parallel parking.

I know I'm good enough but don't know what to do about nerves making me go to pieces. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sugaplum
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:51 pm
Beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!

I know that I don't know you Iavas_Saar, but I just wanted to say to you to try not to get down-heartened by it.

My sister failed her first time, and she was totally gutted, and one of my other friends failed 5 times I think. He was in such a state.

But...the feeling you get when you pass....just focus on that. On how great it will be.

I wish you good luck for the future. :)

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:52 pm
Marshmallow Toaster

:( I'm sorry, buddy. Nerves can be frustrating, and it's easier to say, "just try to relax and stay focused" than it is to actually do it. Don't know what advice I can give you other than keep trying. I hope you nail it next time.

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:53 pm
A green apple painted red

Oh, Iavas, that's just such a bummer! You will pass eventually, you know. My hubby failed twice and the first time he didn't even get out of the parking lot. I failed once. The second time I sqeaked through by a single point, and that's only because the man who tested me erased one of the "bad" marks. You should see how happy I look in my driver license photo.

:D <-- Frelga's driving license photo

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:55 pm
Let the dice fly.

Iavas, I'm yet another one who doesn't drive and is far past the age where I ought to. So at least you're not the only one, right?

And I know plenty of people who had to take the test many, many times. ;) You'll get it one of these days.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 9:26 pm

You'll get there one of these days. Don't sweat it. At least the test is free. :)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 9:38 pm

Maybe you should have a few drinks beforehand to relax your nerves.

(j/k of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 10:13 pm
Unlabeled

Awww, Iavas :( I'm sorry. I hope it will make you feel a little bit better that I failed the WRITTEN test (you know, the one that everyone in the entire world passes on the first try - except for me!) And, the only reason I didn't fail the driving test was that, by Virginia state law, you can get TEN minor demerits on your driving test, as long as you don't get one major demerit (such as running a red light, going over the curb, etc). I think I ended up with five minor ones, enough to pass in that state, but undoubtedly sufficient to fail in others. I think that what helped me was to put it in perspective that it wasn't a big deal to fail, because I could always retake it in no time. The moment that I realized that, I relaxed, thus preventing myself from needing to retake it. It can be a vicious cycle. Hang in there, and good luck on the next try!

- TP

Last edited by tolkienpurist on Wed 23 Mar , 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 10:35 pm
Marshmallow Toaster

Quote:
I think that what helped me was to put it in perspective that it wasn't a big deal to fail, because I could always retake it in no time. The moment that I realized that, I relaxed, thus preventing myself from needing to retake it.
I think that's some fantastic advice, tolkienpurist! Iavas, I agree with tp that it's probably your fear of failing that's psyching you out. That would certainly explain why you were even more nervous this time: you were afraid of failing *again*. It really might be helpful if you don't place so much emphasis on "I've got to pass this time!", but instead just tell yourself, "I'm just going to sit here and try my best, and if I don't pass, well, nothing lost nothing gained."

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 11:16 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't get why he did what he did. He totally backed into the yellow pole after I'd warned him about backing up too far (he did a trial run before his test). Really he's been doing just fine when it comes to parallel parking so I don't understand why he made this big mistake when it came to the test.

He only has one more free test left. Needless to say, I'm going to make him practice parallel parking A LOT!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:00 am
His Rosyness

Thanks for the advice everyone. Of course, the added pressure next time is that it's the last of my free tests!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:03 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Of course, the added pressure next time is that it's the last of my free tests!
D'oh! Well that won't help things. We've got to find some way to help you relax... *thinks*... Have you considered turning Buddhist?

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:04 am

I know money is probably an issue, but could you possibly take a couple of driving lessons? Not that you NEED them, but it would get you accustomed to someone watching you critically and evaluating you as you drive, which would lessen your nervousness when it comes to the real thing.

(Also, my driving instructor was very helpful on giving me tips re. the parallel parking, which was MY biggest problem too!)

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:10 am
Just keep singin'!

Sunsilver wrote:
I know money is probably an issue, but could you possibly take a couple of driving lessons? Not that you NEED them, but it would get you accustomed to someone watching you critically and evaluating you as you drive, which would lessen your nervousness when it comes to the real thing.
I second that. Most driving schools have short-term programs and most will keep at you until you really feel completely comfortable.

Plus, you get a break on your insurance.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:24 am
Same as it ever was

Iavas -

Get out in that car with Eru and practice, practice, practice the parallel parking until you can get it just right. As far as the other tensions, unfortunately those driving instructors can sense it, and it will only hurt you. Get past the apprehension, do NOT drink large amounts of coffee or other things that will just make you more nervous, and try to imagine that you are just taking the test as a trial run, with Eru or someone else that does not make you nervous sitting in the seat beside you.

Being a semi-relaxed and confident driver is what they mainly are looking for, someone who knows the rules and the techniques and can just put them into play as they need to be engaged. Be alert, but not tensed up, clutching the wheel and looking around far more than is needed. That indicates panic and uncertainty in your reactions.

Do not rush yourself, but at the same time, try and figure out just why you are so uptight about the tests. Work past the fears, there is nothing else that you can do otherwise.

You will do just fine the next time. You need to convince yourself of that fact before you even go in to take the test. It does work. :)

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:49 am
The Pirate's Daughter

Iavas, The Watcher is right. Parallel parking is, absolutely, something that can be mastered by practice. When I was in college I was too poor to buy a parking sticker, so I had to find street parking every day. I had never been any good at parallel parking, but within a couple of weeks I was a wizard at it. I could happily zip into spots barely a foot longer than my car. It's not magic. It's not luck. It's technique. It's knowing exactly the right spot to start from (the back of your car even with the back of the car in front of the space), and exactly when to cut the steering wheel back over when reversing (when your body is even with the end of the car in front of the space.)

So practice for a few weeks. Do it until it's second nature - which, I promise you, it will become. Armed with the confidence this will give you, I believe you'll ace it next time.

You're a smart guy, but this isn't something you can think your way into. You need to create the neural pathways that connect visual judgment and muscles for this task - like learning how to dive, or roller skate, or ski.

You can do this. :)

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:24 am
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

OR YOU CAN JUST RECONCILE YOURSELF TO A LIFETIME OF WALKING!!!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

SIGNED,

THE RESIDENT MISERABLE POLTROO

PS -- just making sure you don't overdose on all the suga!!!

PPS -- damn! I miss the days when I could post like that without throwing in those little emoticons and phrases to make clear I was joking -- I really must back to my old ultra-acerbic self!!!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:50 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

He's already had lessons. I didn't feel confident in preparing him for the test so he's done those already.

I definately am going to make him practice parallel parking a lot. He can do it (has done it every time with me) but hopefully mass amounts of practice will help him not lose it in the test.

Ethel...you've kind of got it. He's a very smart guy, but just isn't the observant type. He's the scientist/mathematician type who gets absorbed in a single thing and loses track of other things...just a singular vision I guess. That doesn't mix well with driving and I don't know how to teach being observant and keeping track of many things.

Of course, I've already said all this to him! ;)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: