board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gardening

Post Reply   Page 11 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 1316 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Gardening
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2022 6:11 pm

Cornbread is best when cooked in preheated cast iron. I just set the pan in the oven while the oven is preheating, and then grease the pan and add the batter and put it back in the oven. It makes a nice crunchy crust that way.

My cornbread recipe is only corn flour, eggs, milk, salt, oil and baking powder.
I've never liked sweet cornbread.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2022 11:24 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I do mine like Maria with the addition of sugar because my mom is from Alabama. I don't like it sickly sweet, but I don't like it plain either. After it's done, cut into wedges, split it open, and slather with butter.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2022 11:44 pm
A green apple painted red

I love cornbread. I even like the one packaged in cellophane, with yellow #5 in the ingredients. I don't think I ever tried to make it.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2022 10:10 am

Well, if no caraway seeds is the consensus, I'll try it without them to begin with.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2022 9:47 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So if all the buds on my blackcurrant bush become fruit, I'll easily have enough to make at least one batch of blackcurrant jam with quite a lot left over. Is this going to be my year?

I think this is my gooseberry plant's 3rd year. Or maybe the 2nd. Will I get fruit from it this year? Since we sold my dad's house, I haven't been able to make my annual gooseberry pie.

Mmm... possibly my favourite pie of all :drool:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2022 10:03 pm

Canada moot!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2022 11:08 pm

If I post food things, will you all want an Australia moot?

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2022 11:55 pm

It can't hurt to try. ;)

My raspberry is making berries, although they are still small and green. It also made two small baby bushes. It's a bushy variety, not the bramble variety, but I'm happy for it to spread out a little. Hopefully the babies will make berries next year.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2022 12:17 am
Aspiring to heresy

I bet every one of us would jump at the chance of an Australian moot - if we had the money for air fare :D

Frelga, if you have the same kind of raspberries that we had growing up, the new bushes will produce fruit in their second year. That's their peak producing year, so at the end of the season we would cut down every plant that had produced fruit that year. With that method, we had a bumper crop of raspberries for years and years and years.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2022 9:24 am

Jude wrote: *  Mon 02 May , 2022 12:17 am
Frelga, if you have the same kind of raspberries that we had growing up, the new bushes will produce fruit in their second year. That's their peak producing year, so at the end of the season we would cut down every plant that had produced fruit that year. With that method, we had a bumper crop of raspberries for years and years and years.
That makes sense. All the trees I'm familiar with also make fruit on second-year wood. This is important for pruning: always leave some wood from each year so you get a good crop each year. I believe raspberries can be pruned, although it's not necessary, but pruning will encourage more fruit growth.

I'll post some food photos in the cooking thread, but yes, I get it about airfares. That's why I haven't been to a moot in UK or North America.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 04 May , 2022 12:07 am

This is the second year since I planted this raspberry, but it came with previous year's canes so I got some fruit last year. The label says to prune back in the spring, removing canes that have no new growth. I completely failed to do that this spring, but maybe next year.

My lemon thyme is thriving. Any tips on how to dry herbs?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Wed 04 May , 2022 4:47 am

Herbs are easy to dry. If you don't have a dehydrator, put them on a baking tray in the oven at a low temperature (e.g., 50 C), jam a wooden spoon in the oven door for ventilation if it lets you, and leave for a few hours. Or to air-dry them, spread them on trays or paper-towel-lined racks (something that will let you collect them easily later, remembering that dried things shrink), and leave for a few days. If you dry them outside or anywhere that insects are around, put them briefly in a sterilising oven (120 C or thereabouts) to kill any insect eggs. Once dried, I rub my herbs into powder to check they dried thoroughly.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 04 May , 2022 10:42 am
Aspiring to heresy

Won't they keep their flavour longer if you keep them whole until just before you use them?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Wed 04 May , 2022 12:28 pm

Probably, but I use a lot of dried herbs, so I don't worry about it. If I fail to completely dry them, I lose the whole batch.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 14 May , 2022 9:40 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So here's my blackcurrant bush as it is now:
[ attachment ]
Blackcurrant.jpg (275.96 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
If every one of those blossoms became an actual berry cluster, I would have a bumper crop. But, but, but, I'm already seeing aphids on it. I'm spraying everywhere with soapy water several times a day, and also just rubbing them off the leaves with my finger. Who knows if I'll be successful this year? This is the first year that I was aware of the aphid problem so early in the season, so I might have a chance this year.

Aarrgh.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 16 May , 2022 8:10 am
The best things in life are not things

Wow, such a lot of blossom. Just a thought, have you looked into finding out whether there's any companion plant you could grow that would attract predators to eat the aphids? Maybe chives or something similar?

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2022 7:51 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I just planted a chives plant underneath the blackcurrant bush. Also, following advice on another site, I coated the bottom of the stem with vaseline - supposedly prevents ants from climbing the plant and helping the aphids out.

The berries are starting to form - this stage is critical! Stay tuned...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2022 5:58 pm
The best things in life are not things

Fingers-crossed, then! :)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2022 6:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So here is the update: flowers are falling off and berries are starting to form. Trying not to become too excited. Because things could still go wrong.
[ attachment ]
BlackCurrants.jpg (223.04 KiB) Viewed 9942 times
And here is a close-up of my Gooseberry bush. Looks like this will be the first year I get fruit from it. Will I get enough to make a gooseberry pie? Stay tuned!
[ attachment ]
Gooseberries.jpg (229.99 KiB) Viewed 9942 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2022 7:52 pm

I haven't had a fresh currant or gooseberry in years! Whole Foods have red currants a few times a year, but I don't shop there anymore.

We didn't make currant jam, just crushed fresh berries with sugar. It was supposed to be a great cold remedy, when made into a hot drink by adding boiling water.

I suspect that like most cold remedies, it worked by keeping people busy while they got over it, but it was tasty and had vitamin C.

Raspberries with sugar, or raspberry jam, in hot water do work to bring down the fever, IME.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 11 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 1316 »
Jump to: