Too little, too late.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 136 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 9:27 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

*reads*...:D

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 9:39 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Simply put hal that was wonderful!

Thank you! :love:

.... and not only because now I can go on holiday in 6 hours with a much lighter heart and a smile back on my face.
:)

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 10:41 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Good to see this thread. :cool:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 10:48 pm
* trolley dodger *

Hal, thank you for starting this thread. :) I mean that, I really do. But in the end (and this isn't directly exclusively at you), the proof is going to be in the pudding.

I don't want to discourage people volunteering for committees or rangerhood (by the way, and this is not meant cruelly but honestly, I think that everyone needs to take a long hard look at themselves before they volunteer to be a ranger. If you regularly struggle with keeping your cool when there’s a disagreement taking place, I don’t believe that you should do it. It doesn’t mean that you’re less of a person, only that your talents lie elsewhere. Recognize your weaknesses, as well as your strengths).

And it’s great to see the members who have posted in this thread. :) Many names of people I like very much. But there are many names that are missing. :( Names that have largely disappeared over the past few weeks. I want to see them start visiting again. Maybe this won’t be their primary messageboard home, but I want them to feel welcome to come back and post whenever they feel like it. Most importantly, I want them to want to be here.

There’s been a lot of talk about reforming the Charter, forming various committees, etc. as the solution to some of the bitterness and conflict that’s been prevalent recently. But in my opinion, best way to do this, the best way to bring back some of the familiar minds we’ve lost is to make B77 worth staying for. Make it interesting. Have intellectually challenging (but courteous) threads. Have pleasant community threads. Have fun, spammy threads (but don’t let spam overrun a forum). Make an environment where individuals feel safe.

Even if you don’t agree with me that the Charter isn’t the main issue, Charter discussion isn’t starting until the New Year, correct? So until then focus your energies on making B77 interesting. Start by talking about your own interests, and discover who shares them.

Focus your energy on the board, on building up the other forums. You like Indie Rock? Start a discussion in the music forum. You think "Capote" is greatest film you've seen all year? Start a discussion in the movies forum. What the heck is happening in New Orleans? Let's find out in the Symposium. Debate Iavas on his 9/11 theories! ;) Share recipes in the Made in Dale forum! Discuss pussy (cat) with other feline lovers here in Turf. Discuss everything else in the ToE. ;) We are almost all united in a shared love for Tolkien, why is our Tolkien forum languishing? Recognize that some threads naturally develop a certain tone. Don’t spam a serious discussion. If you think spam is ridiculously silly and annoying, avoid the threads where it takes place. The same advice goes for threads that are racier than others.

We could have the most ideal Charter, the most ideal system of governance on the internet, but if there aren’t any good threads to draw people to be here, then what’s the point?

(And no matter how good our threads are, nobody will want to be here if we don’t maintain an overall level of civility.)

That’s is my plan to strengthen B77 (I don’t use the term “rebuildâ€

Omnia Vincit Amor; Et Nos Cedamus Amori

Need a Laugh? Generate a Laugh!
[ img ]
LOTR Caption Competition #24--->Sauron Gives Isildur the Finger.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Dec , 2005 11:13 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Granted I am more prone to being mushy cuz I'm listening to a purdy theme song from a Care Bears movie, but hal? :love: :hug:

I will continue not losing faith in this place or it's people! I hope others can hop on the love train as well. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 12:03 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:hug: to hal

And God bless us, every one!

(Sorry, I'm starting to get into the Christmas spirit.)

Seriously, you have displayed maturity and courage here, hal.

Lali

(Actually, I've never been sure how that phrase should be properly spelled. I think I have it correct.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 12:19 am
Frodo's girl through and through

I was on the verge of PMing a Ranger today to ask them to cancel my B77 membership. I no longer wanted to post at a place where my friends had been told they were unwelcome.

I was glad to accept the invitation to join B77 because of my sympathy with those who were banned unjustly in the great TORCatastrophe. How ironic then that in the end B77 became a worse place for me than TORC.

So I decided it was time to pull out permanently. I only post here now occasionally. The hurt and upset gave me a good enough reason to leave for good.

I hope to get to a M77t later this month, with Leoba and Din and Eruname and a few others, so I was going to advise them to keep me informed of M77t plans with me by other means 'cause I would not be looking into this place again and therefore checking my PMs.

Then I saw this thread.

Which has made me think a lot more kindly of the B77 community. So, thank you, Hal. :cool:

Looks like your democratic experiment CAN work after all, folks. :)

I wish you well. :cool:

You should be fine, with posters like Tinsel around. :hug:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 12:48 am
Same as it ever was

The thought that Hal can post such a heartfelt and soul searching message gives me hope as well. Maybe this place can learn, we can treat all members with dignity and respect and friendship, we can still have loads of fun and caring conversations and serious debates and topical threads about shared interests, but respect other people's perspectives, even if we do not agree with them at all and maybe overlook the little crap.

Let us strive to make 2006 a much better year and move forward. I want people to come here because it is a great place to be and that they feel welcome and included. We CAN do that, it really is not all that difficult.

:)

Tinsel and Lali, you both rock!! :love:

A hug and an olive branch to Hal. I see you are indeed a person of good heart and sincerity. That means an awful lot to me.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 1:02 am
bioalchemist

This strikes me more as a whole lot at the right time than too little too late.

I'll be honest. I've never met you hal. I'm sure you know that but I just wanted taht on the table because you're not the only one reading this. I have no idea what you're like IRL. On the net you tend to come across as very stubborn and more than a bit rude when something riles you up. Your stance towards the Charter, your refusal to do anything even though you were so vocally unhappy with the place, and your refusal to take part on your hearing struck me as childish and really got under my skin. Not that I can really talk since I haven't done much as far as running the board goes, but I don't complain about it. So not only do I not know you, I wasn't sure I wanted to know you...until I saw this.

Wow. Just wow. It takes a lot of humility, courage, and wisdom to be able to stand back and look at yourself and the flaws you have and the mistakes you've made and admit to them. It takes even more to do it publicly. You've inspired me - now I'm thinking of signing up to be a Ranger and it's all your fault. You've also impressed me and now that I've seen your good side I want to know you better. For whatever that's worth. :P

Well Done!

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 1:21 am
Milk and kisses

Oh wow.

This is the BEST thread I've read here in a long time. :)

I hope you can forgive my harshness, hal, TM.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 1:58 am
Best friends forever

halplm wrote:
Iavas_Saar wrote:
hal, I didn't read your post, but from people's happy reactions, I'd say you just racanted your purism and finally accepted the glory of PJs LOTR. Am I close?
If that's what it takes, Iavas.

No, wait, I didn't say that :help:
:rage: halplm!!! :rage:

You and I have few things in common. Don't you DARE go all soft and start saying you think PJ's movies are wonderful.

I MEAN it, bucko. I need to know there is at least ONE more sensible and discerning person on this PJ-infested planet.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 2:13 am

Hal? Sensible? You must be thinking of another person, vison. ;)

:hug: This is a great thread, hal. :cheers:

Tinsel, what a great post, as well. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 2:34 am

Thank you for the early Christmas present, hal.

Hope.

And thank you for your wise posts, Tinsel and Watcher. The gift you give is direction.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 4:16 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

One end:
Hell is other people.

The other end:
Heaven is loving other people.

We're in the middle...fluctuating....on a messageboard. :P Hang in there, halp. ;)

b77 is a special place for me too, and i understand why you've gotten so emotional lately. No one's to blame for anything...there's no right or wrong, there's no test to pass...no favor to gain....there's only each of us to accept the next as we are....period.

let's just take a chill and breathe :D and practice enjoying the company of one another. EVERYONE!

*leaves soapbox for a comfortable chair*

Profile Quote
TIGG
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 4:26 am
bouncing forward, eyes straight ahead

I sit here and in front of me is a HUGE greeting card,

the front reads:

GO!
LEAVE!

SEE IF WE CARE!
We'll Manage!

We'll GET OVER IT!

and inside:

We'll Miss you!!!!!!!

IRONIC given what I have sat through here..........
cries for the casualties of this lesson :bawl:

[ img ]

Horsin' Around with Mista Strikey.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 5:46 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Tigg if anyone knows the pain of messageboards it is you.

Big :hug: for you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TIGG
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 5:52 am

Holby :hug:

this is not about ME its about B77

:grouphug: for all of them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 6:03 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

You know, after speaking to many people the last couple of days, I've just had a kick-ass idea which might mean that there are no losers at all.

I need to sleep on it and ring a couple of more people first before putting it in print, but if it works...oh boy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
10FTTALL
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 6:40 am

Quote:
I've just had a kick-ass idea which might mean that there are no losers at all.
I'm afraid I can't just move into a commune, let my beard grow, drink absinthe, and walk around naked...
Oops...sorry, did I just let the cat out of the bag?

[ img ]

Loyal subject to the Crown

Profile Quote
TIGG
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Dec , 2005 6:46 am

;) 10ft tall, I'm with you

:D

beards and TIGGers do NOT look good :P

[ img ]