The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Bookshop

Post Reply   Page 8 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 1012 »
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Jul , 2005 1:58 pm
You Tolkien to me?

Hey guys!! :D i know i haven't been in here for a while.....how's everyone doing? Silwen? Galena? :D

I haven't been reading much other than fanfiction lately :oops: :oops: lol, but i did manage to read Sonya Hartnett's book "the Devil Latch" and have now started her "Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf." Her stories are weird, to say the least.....mostly about real life, and people dealing with hardships, but they're an interesting read. I read another of her books, ages ago called "Black Foxes," and now my sister's really into her so i started reading her books again too. I'd recommend them for anyone who enjoys a weird and cryptic read. Even after i finished "The Devil Latch" i wasn't sure i'd gotten the point of it :D :D

Got any more of her stuff stashed away in here, Silwen? ;)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Jul , 2005 4:58 pm
DomiKNITrix

Certainly, Peeg. :) *refers her to the H section of the relevant shelves*

I am still not dure if I am getting better or not. Started on the new medication today and so far have no idea if it's working or not. Last night, in any case, I almost died of pain. Couldn't walk for half an hour because the pain was excruciating, and then had to lie down sleepless for over three hours because it was still bad enough.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Jul , 2005 7:56 pm
The Woman who Knows her Vegetables

:Q :rage: that sounds terrible Silwen :hug: :hug: sending positive energy your way

hey peeg :wave:

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 9:31 am
You Tolkien to me?

Hey, you two ;) :wave: :hug:

Silwen, what's up with your legs?? :Q Sounds bad.....sounds like i've missed something important. What happened? :(

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 12:10 pm
DomiKNITrix

Peeg, nothing wrong with my legs, I have a bad bladder infection - at least the kidney infection I had with it at first is gone, but the rest is still the same. Got the wrong pills from my doctor the first week :rage: and just started the new ones. Not sure if I detect a slight change or if it is only wish-thinking. Have another appointment tomorrow. I never had such an infection before so i have no idea what's normal about it and what isn't, but lots of people on the boards here have been able to tell me what I can do.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 1:52 pm
You Tolkien to me?

ooooooo..... :hug: Sorry to hear about that. Bet it's painful....i don't even want to think about it. And what sort of a crap doctor did you have the first time round that he/she gave you the wrong pills the first time??? Bloody idiot. Ah, well, hope it gets better....i'm afraid i don't know much about this problem so can't give you advice, but i hope you feel better soon. How about a choc chip cookie? :D ;)

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 6:21 pm
DomiKNITrix

Thanks. :D My favourite cookie too!

Well, the doctor is the one I have always had. He gave me antibiotics that weren't strong enough. With no medical history whatsoever I wonder why I was resistent to those pills. Anyway, these new ones seem to be working, but I am rather tentative with my predictions here.

In any case, I have now had enough time for reading again. Am not almost halfway through Gabriel García ´Márquez' autobiography.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 3:13 pm

uuhhh, that sounds like an interesting read....I really like Marquez *thinks how it really is about time to finally pick up Love in the time of cholera* ;)

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 3:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So how are you feeling today, Silwen?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 4:41 pm
DomiKNITrix

Hello Jude! :) Feeling lots better today. First definite signs of improvement, yay! :D Am seeing the doc again this evening to get some more pills. Should steadily get better now and I am in a very good mood.

Galena, I would also like to read that book. I read 100 Years of Solitude which I really liked a lot. I did not know what to make of The General in His Labyrinth, though.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 6:51 pm

I really liked the Solitude...there`s actually his short story that I really, really liked but I can`t recall the exact name...something about a beautifull woman he sees on a plane and falls in love with.... :love: it`s actually not typcial Marquez stuff

one does need to be in a specific state of mind for Marquez, I think....

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 7:09 pm
DomiKNITrix

I always have the impression I need to know more about his country and the culture to really appreciate his writing. I first heard of Marquez in Canadian literature class when we dealt with magic realism. I really like that style, and Solitudes is considered the first book to employ that technique.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 6:13 am

hehe, perhaps not a good sequence to the Marquez post....but just yesterday I got email from my bookshop that my HP6 copy is all secure and will be waiting for me, from friday..... :D
good read, for the beginning of my summer holiday....

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 7:32 pm
DomiKNITrix

All these HP fanatics... :roll:

I like the books too but stil don't own any. I will have to wait with the read this time until someone I know has the book or our uni's library gets it.

The last book I also read a long time after it came out and I was afraid I might have grown out of HP - but I was wrong. As soon as I began, I loved it as much as before.:)

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 6:42 pm

I had a tough time picking out books to take with me on a holiday :scratch choices were made :bawl: books will be left behind :rage:

the current list is, as follows:

"Indaba, my children"- a composition of african folk tales
HP6
"A Witch`s guide to Faery folk"- McCoy
"Friendship with God"- Walsch
"Communion with God"- Walsch
"New Revelations"- Walsch
"Centering"- Laurie & Tucker
"Spellcaster"- Duffy, Whitehorse, Palin....
"The woman with alabaster jar"- Starbird
"Science and the Akashic field"- Laszlo
"Spiral dance"- Starhawk

a monography by Susan Seddon Boulet for some visual magick, when need arises :love:

with four days to go, the list is bound to grow :D

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 8:42 pm
DomiKNITrix

Now that my infection is no longer as bad as last week, though it is still there, I am not spending as uch time in bed reading as before either. I was hoping to finish the Marquez autobio in two weeks, but I suppose that is too optimistic even though I have read more than half of it by now.

That is a long list of books, Galena! I have only planned to take one book with me on my holiday: "The Sea, the Sea" by Iris Murdoch.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Jul , 2005 8:23 am

yeah, but we know where you are going and with whom you will be ;) which means, at least I hope, you will have much different things on your mind :D

me, on the other hand...am going to my spiritual home (returning to which every summer is greatly helped by my family having a summer house there) :P which means spending time with a very small group of extremely special people, and lot of introspection.....and just plain soul relaxation....which includes a lot of reading...
the list varies greatly though, last year it was mostly fiction which had me crying most of the time....but, this time since I had my share of fiction just recently...the list is very different, and some books are on it simply to go back to, if I feel like it....
there will probably be some of Froud`s art in it....and maybe a bit of Hundertwasser, for the times of leisure

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Jul , 2005 2:10 pm
DomiKNITrix

Hm, Hundertwasser... :)

Yes, I suppose I will not be reading much - simply because I noticed that I can't focus on a book when The Geographer is right there next to me, perfectly in my reach. :D I gave him a hard time while he was here.

I hope you have a wonderful relaxing holiday!

Health update: it's the first day I can't feel the infection! :dance: Let's see how things develope. I have enough pills left till Monday and by then it should be fine. Might not even need to see the doctor again (since he won't be doing anything anyway and it is only a waste of time). Still waiting for the lab results though.

Profile Quote
moonfariegalena
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Jul , 2005 3:16 pm

oh yes.... Hundertwasser :D the only place that beats living in that amasing building of his, next to the Kunsthaus in Wien...is one of the cute little houses in Gaudi`s Park Guell :love:
off course, I did fantasise about spending just one night of solitude in Sagrada familia...but for living would actually get depressing after a while ;)

Silwen wrote:
right there next to me, perfectly in my reach. :D
:love: I`m so envious :love:

I think you should go to the doc jsut to be on the safe side,as tedious as it is....

N. Gaiman

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Jul , 2005 10:58 am
DomiKNITrix

Health update: had the impression it was worse again. :nono: Am making yet another appointment tomorrow morning. My pills last just one more day and I hope very much my doc does not refuse to prescribe me some more! He already seemed reluctant to do so last time when it was far worse than this. :rage:

In the meantime I have resumed reading Marquez even though the political asides, of which there are many, are terribly boring for me. I'd like to read some more fiction again, something good, but I won't be getting any new books for a while. Unfortunately, the books I have not yet read that are waiting on my shelf aren't fiction. Explains why I have waited so long to read them.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 12  [ 238 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 1012 »
Jump to: