The Last Homely Site on the Web

Charter Amendment Committee Needed Under Article 3

Locked   Page 31 of 35  [ 692 posts ]
Jump to page « 129 30 31 32 3335 »
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 3:57 pm
Not so deep as a well

I would like to request that people concentrate on comments and suggestions regarding the current activities of the committee in this thread. Topics for future committee action probably belong more in the symposium thread, as do general observations about the health/direction of the board.

I'm not sure where attempts to fix the blame for things belong, but it is not here in any case. I have been and will continue to have the rangers shovel out this thread on a regular basis to remove such.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 5:03 pm
b77 whipping boy

As for a comment on the Jury room thread.

What's all this "this decision cannot be contested" crap. So if you piss of a ranger and they want to mess with you, you have no recourse?

I think that language is a little strong.

I also think we still have the issue of who decides what's "frivilous" etc.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 5:14 pm
Not so deep as a well

hal--

I tend to agree that no Ranger decision can be held sacrosanct, and that there are issues with how much judgment can or should be applied by rangers. I personally prefer as cut-and-dried a model as we can get to avoid dropping this particular hot potato into the lap of any ranger.

When we get to dealing with language, probably tomorrow, we will certainly discuss both these issues.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 6:59 pm
Not so deep as a well

The committee can indeed address any number of issues. We have chosen to concentrate on one first, rather than chasing our collective tail by trying to deal with them all at once. However, just because we CAN address any number of issues doesn't mean we HAVE to or that we should. The consensus of the current membership is to look at the BR issues first, and then decide IF any further action is necessary at this point.

I would urge any committee members who have a different view of the current process to let me and the board know! I can only speak for myself and my perceptions as the chairperson. But as the chairperson, my priority for THIS thread is current input on current activity, since that's the most useful application of the resource.

Please note that I have NOT requested various side issues regarding possible future activities for the committee to be removed to another thread, but rather have asked that FUTURE posts of this sort be done elsewhere, for the time being.

MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:09 pm

Locking and splitting again.

edit: done.

edit 2: removed rolleyes smilie

edit 3: Oh, and I sent the digression to BR. Again.

Last edited by MariaHobbit on Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[ img ]

fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:10 pm
White Sox sw00ner

There's a thread in this forum called Charter Issues. I think it would make sense to discuss future issues there. But for the sanity of the committee I would also request that only matters pertaining to the current Bike Racks proposal be discussed here at this time.

We only wish! To catch a fish! So juicy sweeet!

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:16 pm
b77 whipping boy

I'd also request the rangers who splitt of the threads not refer to the process as "mucking out" or something that needs a "rolleyes" smile.

MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:18 pm

Halplm,
If that hurts your feelings, of course I will not do it again.

*sigh*

[ img ]

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:19 pm
Not so deep as a well

fisssh--

Excellent idea.

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:26 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I thought so too fissh I just didn't want to derail this thread anymore :)

MH, hal might take you a little more seriously if you'd not added that *sigh*. Just sayin'. Don't really want another spat. Just tellin' ya what he's gonna point out ;)

Last edited by TheMary on Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

Compliments are always in order. :D

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 7:31 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Okay good because last time I complimented fisssh I got scolded for getting personal with another poster. Now my assocication is that I can't compliment fisssh without fearing reprimand. Oh I'm ruined! :D

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 8:05 pm
b77 whipping boy

I didn't take MH's *sigh* that way. I took it as "I can't believe we have to worry about offending people like this." Which I agree with, forget what I said, MH.

Now, if the issue is to decide the CURRENT issue right now, and worry about other stuff later, why don't we just put it up for a vote. Adding a line of explanation in, offer two options:

One saying casual and light-hearted disputes ARE allowed in the BR.

Another saying casual and light-hearted disputes ARE NOT allowed in the BR.

THAT is the current issue, and apparently one that cannot be worked out in any way except a board-wide vote for some people. Rebuilding things into a better way of dispute resolution is a different issue entirely, and overly complicates things.

Any options for better dispute resolution, be they in the BR, or in the JR, or a new forum altogether, have to have both of the above options.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 8:09 pm
Thanks to Holby

Regarding the discussion of the two 'tightening' proposals, I agree with TheMary. Less change or greater change is preferrable to greater change or radical change.

fisssh wrote:
(And by the way, I wonder if the language serious attempts at dispute resolution would be helpful. That way the criteria is not on the nature of the dispute but the earnestness of the parties involved. Just a thought...)
As usual, I'm in agreement with fisssh. Here is one suggestion for that wording change (with an extra modifier for good measure). Note I used 'earnest' rather than the suggested 'serious' because the word 'serious' led to trouble earlier as seeming to exclude genuine disputes of lesser severity.

current proposal text wrote:
¶1: The Bike Racks Forum
The Bike Racks Forum is a read and write forum for all members. It is available solely for resolving personal disputes.
Possible change: It is available solely for earnest attempts at resolving genuine personal disputes.

Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 8:47 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Axordil wrote:
I would urge any committee members who have a different view of the current process to let me and the board know! I can only speak for myself and my perceptions as the chairperson. But as the chairperson, my priority for THIS thread is current input on current activity, since that's the most useful application of the resource.
I agree with your interpretation of the purpose of this thread, for what it is worth.

I am kind of lost at what point in the process we are. Am I supposed to be doing anything other than what I have already done? I thought we were waiting for more input from other people and will decide on what to put forth to people next.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2005 8:50 pm
Not so deep as a well

Well, I hope everyone who feels really strongly about which of the two BR models from the BR tightening proposal has spoken up. We'll go ahead and vote so we can get to the language issues. Members at large and committee members alike have made some recommendations worth looking at.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 7:03 pm
Thanks to Holby

Voronwe wrote:
I agree that nothing in the Charter would forbid this approach.
Voronwe, could you explain why you do not see this to be in conflict with the Charter directive to hold a yes/no vote for a single proposal put before the membership?

Has something changed since the ToE committee procedure, in which we determined we were limited to putting forward a single proposal for a yes/no vote?

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 7:11 pm
Thanks to Holby

Axordil wrote:
How are people with the "uncontestable" nature of the thread invasion bit in the BR tightening proposal? It bugs me a bit on principle to have anything be uncontestable around here, I confess.
Ax, if that is taken out, there is really no point in even offering the proposal at all, IMO.

We are clarifying what the Bike Racks is allowed to be used for, and we are giving the Rangers the means to enforce it.

If you take away the means to enforce it (by allowing contestation), then why bother? It will just perpetuate the nonsense.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 7:19 pm
Not so deep as a well

Cerin--

It's the abstract notion that bugs me, more than the actual practice. Even in as cut-and-dried a situation as this, where someone either clearly does or doesn't post in a thread they haven't been invited into. Or perhaps because it is so cut-and-dried...if there can't be any question as to whether someone has done it, then how can it be contested at all? I mean, there's no judgment to be exercized, so it's more like the Ranger power to edit a post if the picture stretches the page than it is like a special or emergency power. That is, it's not a decision. Only decisions can be contested.

I would be all right if it were made clear that this isn't a decision, but an essentially automatic function.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 7:30 pm

Cerin, I spoke in error. I have clarified my comments in the Jury Room.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 31 of 35  [ 692 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 129 30 31 32 3335 »
Jump to: