board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

ToE Junior - An End Run round the problem?

Post Reply   Page 9 of 13  [ 248 posts ]
Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:29 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

If he is posting through a network that has a submask that can explain it. I had a bunch of friends who lived in one house and they had to decide how to take certain 'tests' on an old forum I frequented because it logged the IP of anyone who took the test and only one of them could take it. Eventually they figured a way around it but I forgot how. On the forum they all showed the same IP address in their posts.

If you trace the IP online you should be able to determine if it is a network or an individual machine assigned to that IP.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:30 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

tinwe - I can say with certainty that he is not.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:33 pm
Not so deep as a well

I use a machine in a friend's basement occasionally that is on a subnet. Several different users could be logging in from the same IP, there, in theory.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:33 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

*wonders how Estel knows what the IP address is* :scratch:

It is possible that two different posters have the same IP address. I remember seeing that Sassafras and Oreo had the same IP...now we all know they're not the same person. ;)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:42 pm
Waiting for winter

If two posters have the same IP address it means they are posting from the same computer, does it not? I do not want to make any false allegations here, and I apologize if I have done so already. It is certainly possible for more than one registered member to be posting from the same location (such as Lidless and Estel, for instance, who live together.)

If that is the case, however, it might be helpful if the new member would identify themself as a friend or family member of an existing member in order to avoid any such confusion.

Thanks Estel.

Profile Quote
Crazycosh
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:43 pm

It could quite easily be an IP address assigned to multiple users from NTL, but I do assure you that I am a new member ;)

Anyway, I would be interested for anybody to present a response to my argument/parts of it?

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:44 pm
Not so deep as a well

Perhaps to the Mayor or some such...it wouldn't have to be public. But the assumption you made is not invalid, Tinwe, it's logical under the circumstances.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:55 pm
through the looking glass

Erunáme wrote:
[
It is possible that two different posters have the same IP address. I remember seeing that Sassafras and Oreo had the same IP...now we all know they're not the same person. ;)
:Q :Q :Q

<faints>

Maybe I'm a MPD?

<faints again>
Well, well, well ... another drama!

:(

Perhaps the mystery of CC could be solved if he explained how he found us here at The Last Homely House on the web.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 7:59 pm

I knew that would get a comment from you! :P

I just figure Crazycosh is a TORCer...a British one I suppose due to a spelling or two.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:01 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

I think before anything else happens we really need to determine for sure that Sass and Oreo are not indeed the same person or ICN for that matter. :devil:

Sorry for the digression but I could't resist. :D

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:06 pm

tinwe_linto wrote:
If two posters have the same IP address it means they are posting from the same computer, does it not? I do not want to make any false allegations here, and I apologize if I have done so already. It is certainly possible for more than one registered member to be posting from the same location (such as Lidless and Estel, for instance, who live together.)
This is incorrect. All it means is that the Internet identifies their IP as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Underneath that, there can be an incredibly large number of subnets, each with its own set of subnets, etc. The Internet only identifies the top-level IP address of the network in question and does not go down to the computer IP level.

When the Internet sends a packet, it sents it to the top-level IP which is what phpbb tracks. When the top-level machine receives, it, it has to figure out which lower level machine to send it to (not sure how, really), and then routes it down the line until it finally gets to the computer in question (most of the time, packet loss can occur regularly).

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Crazycosh
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:06 pm

I've no idea what a TORC'er is really, I'm guessing it's a rival forum that you have maybe had some trouble with in the past/present?

I actually just happened to stumble upon it following a few urls, I mean you could check your referrers if you really wanted to check...

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:08 pm

CC, I don't think the majority of the users here are that technically proficient. Maybe Alatar. This place is very much grass roots. It even feels squishy between your toes. *squish* *squish*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:10 pm
Not so deep as a well

There are a handful of techie types here. I gave all that stuff up for Lent though back in 1998. :)

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:12 pm
Waiting for winter

Eru,

I checked and there does appear to be a shared IP for Sassy and Oreo. (Sorry Toby)

The Rangers keep a fairly detailed list of IP addresses and there have been some curious instances of shared addresses. For instance, we noticed a few months ago that Holby had made several posts that had the same address as Lidless and Estel, but then we remembered that he had visited them back in the spring, and had most likely logged in from their computer.

To my knowledge there has never been an instance of shared IP addresses between posters who were not using the same computer, at least on this board.

Fixer,

Some posters have multiple IP addresses associated with their user names. I, for instance, have several dozen addresses for my posts, even though I only post from two computers (work and home). Other posters have only one address for all of their posts. I think this is called a “static” address. Would it be possible for two posters to have the same static address?

BTW, I am certainly not a techie, I can attest to that :D

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:19 pm
Thanks to Holby

Speaking of Hobby, I haven't seen her for ages. Does anyone know if all is well with her?

Edit

Oh, I see you said Holby. :oops: Still, where has Hobby gone?

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:21 pm

Crazycosh wrote:
I've no idea what a TORC'er is really, I'm guessing it's a rival forum that you have maybe had some trouble with in the past/present?
Oddly worded question for someone who supposedly knows nothing about this or the other place.
Quote:
I actually just happened to stumble upon it following a few urls, I mean you could check your referrers if you really wanted to check...
Interesting...I wouldn't have thought this place would be out on the net all that much. It's not exactly advertised nor does it have a common interest to attract people.

As for your argument, I do agree with many of your points. I' be interested in you providing links to the international law that you've read up on so we can get some hard facts.

edit: truehobbit has posted today Cerin.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:25 pm
Waiting for winter

Cerin,

I've been wondering that myself. I miss Hobby! :bawl:
tinwe_linto wrote:
Eru,

I checked and there does appear to be a shared IP for Sassy and Oreo. (Sorry Toby)
Oops. I meant to say there is not a shared address for Sassy and Oreo! :oops:

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:28 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Eru, the dude (or dudette as the case may be) probably has browsed thought the forums here, im sure there are things still floating about that would hint at that.
Quote:
Crazycosh, a TORCer is a member of www.theonering.com another good Lord of the Rings website. Most of us are also registered there (with varying levels of participation)

Cerin, I think Hobby's ok, she posted a few days ago on TORC gave no hint of trouble there at any rate, havent noticed her around last couple of days tho, here or there.

tinwe dang you for blowing my thory out of the water!!!! :rage: ;)

Profile Quote
Crazycosh
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Sep , 2005 8:33 pm

Not huge on how American laws are actually filed, but I think these are the federal sections:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c ... c109tLhOUQ::

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 13  [ 248 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »
Jump to: