The Last Homely Site on the Web

The New Comprehensive Guide

Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 2:43 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I had another think about you Anthy starting the new Guide thread in welcome, and then giving it some time before it would be re-done by the Administrator ID.
Having just done a number of updates myself across various bitts and pieces and trying to keep track of it all, the longer I think about it..... the less appealing this option appears :( Sorry, I know you mean well and you're giving it your all :love: . However, it would save us (and you!) editing and cross-referencing trouble if we could start the new Guide thread simply just with the Administrator ID. Any subsequent changes should be either PMed to the Rangers or posted in the Concerns, Problems,Suggestions with this board thread. Then we have a team of Rangers being able to do the changes rather than one single person (efficiency and speed).

If you agree to this Anthy, then please post your text, even if it's just a draft in here and a Ranger can open the new thread. Perhaps a note to the effect: 'In progress of assembing' can be put at the beginning and then each time you have a new chunk ready.... this could go up.

Another reason I'm asking this is that so the Rangers and I can start organizing the cross-referencing links rather sooner than later. With the new Guide thread already up, we have a new thread ID which of course won't change no matter how many edits are done or where the thread might get moved to (not that it will get moved out of Welcome).

Thanks for considering :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:11 pm
Living in hope

Alandriel, if this is just to get the links right in the other bits, there is no reason we can't start the Administrator thread that will eventually be the home of the Guide, put in it a link to Anthriel's guide thread, and let Anth continue to work on it—even post it at the top of the Welcome forum and everything. Then when Anth is satisfied, it will take literally a minute to copy it over to the Administrator thread, sticky that, and voilà.

While the Guide is still in this very embryonic stage, I don't agree that doing it by committee would be faster. I think Anth can hold it in her head and pull it together, and the stage you're talking about, with PMed corrections and collecting them in the Concerns thread, would be better for after a draft is in place.

As I said, there is nothing keeping us from creating the eventual home of the Guide right now so links can be put in place elsewhere.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 3:29 pm

I strongly agree with Prim.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

So you mean having two threads up in welcome.... Anthy's and one by Administrator ID? Isn't that confusing (for a n00b)?

Sorry - I really don't mean this in any bad way and certainly not to slight Anthy's considerable efforts, really not!

I did not mean that it should be done by the committee but rather that Anthy would post her progress in here (this thread can/could be moved out of Jury room to Business room if that's preferred for more member input)and then the Rangers would simply copy it over to the new thread in Welcome done with the Administrator ID.

All I'm trying to do is see the best way, most efficient with the least amount of confusion. Of course... we can simply also stick with plan A ;) let Anthy do it in Welcome (without making one nowwith the Administrator ID), update any cross-refereces temporariliy to her thread and once Anthy gives the all clear, make a new sticky with the Administrator ID and then once more fix all the cross-reference links.

Let's see what Anthy says :)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:19 pm
Living in hope

Alandriel, I didn't mean having two identically titled stickies. :)

The Admin thread wouldn't be stickied—in fact it would probably be locked and titled "Under Construction" or something. But you could link to it freely, and the link would be correct. Right now it would contain only a link to Anth's thread, which would be the only sticky of that title.

Then, later, the Administrator thread could have Anth's guide copied into it, have a title change, get stickied, and essentially swap places with Anth's thread.

I'm just trying to provide a way for Anth to continue working on this while also letting the "final" URL for the guide go into all the documents. Then there is no need to fix any cross-reference links. Someone clicking on the link would arrive at a post saying "Temporary redirect: Guide" with "Guide" being the link to Anth's thread. No problem, no confusion, no repasting of links.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:26 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Okies.... sorry.. sometimes I'm just a bit dense :bang:

Works for me, works for you, works for Anthy - we're all happy now :D

Just do me a favor and put those new threads up in Welcome (the both of them) rather sooner than later and unsticky + lock Farawens (with edit to new link). I have time this week to really work on updating cross-ref links it but very little time once Friday afternoon/evening comes around... and then before you know it it's Sunday 11.59pm GMT ;)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 4:40 pm
Living in hope

I will do that later today then. Still some nasty work-bits needing finishing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 5:07 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Anthy is currently stuck trying to figure out why this *&&^(%$^ blood culture seems to be lost in the mother lovin' *&^$$%#** computer.

:rage:

Ahem.

I will address all these comments tonight... after I wrench this unholy computer off the desk, smash it to smithereens on the floor, and dance with glee upon the dust of its shattered innards.

I mean... as soon as I get home, and get a glass of wine.

Yeah, that's it.

:halo:

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 7:56 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:hug: poor Anthy

A glass of fine chardonay or something will be JUST the thing (but only a wee glass ;) )

:D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:02 pm
Living in hope

Alandriel, forgive me for disagreeing, but clearly what Anthy needs is a balloon glass of Shiraz. One of those "special" glasses (you did move those over from TORC, didn't you, Anthy?).

Then she'll be ready to address some comments, boy howdy. :Wooper:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:17 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

n00b here :halo:
;)
Never heard of the undoubtedly famous balloon glasses. Looking forward to it :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:21 pm
Living in hope

Ah, no one here is a n00b! Yet.

The balloon glasses may well be in play during the August "Beach Party" thread in Turf, to which all will be welcome. Let's just say they're—wine glasses of unusual size. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:34 pm
WYSIWYG

People are already planning threads for August? :Q

LOL, I'm just as much as n00b as Alandriel in these things. :P

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:44 pm
Living in hope

Just that one. Holby promised.

It should be great party, much larger than last August. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:52 pm

Do I get to steer the magic flying beach blanket again?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!!11

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 8:57 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Teh M00bies flies again!! Yayyyyy :Wooper:

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 9:01 pm
WYSIWYG

Don't you get bored with repeating that stuff? :scratch

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 9:01 pm
Living in hope

The magic flying beach blanket that always has room for one more person, yes.

Hey, you and I won't be Rangers and Holby will. We'll have to cook something up.

Anth, when you can, one thing I do need is to know when you'll be ready to put up a thread with a rough draft. Then I can put up the Administrator thread that will eventually be THE thread, and give the link to Alandriel.

Edit: Aren't all parties pretty much the same overall? Yet people manage to have fun. Especially crazy inventive people like all of us B77ers. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 3:51 am
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Prim, I will have a rough draft up in this thread by tomorrow morning. We can move it very quickly to the Welcome Forum, so as to establish an address for it; I don't really think anyone here before Sunday :Q will be confused if it is inaccurate.

I will still field input here from Wednesday morning until Saturday; hopefully by then the biggest wrinkles will be ironed out. I will then "hold court" for input to make the thread as useful as possible; after a three-to-four week period I will turn it over (quite gratefully) to the Amin/Rangers to plug into/be responsible for their own thread.

Does that work for everyone?

BTW... cab/merlot totally ROCKS. Just sayin'!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 6:53 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

So you're neither a Chardonay nor a Shiraz person.... :D

Sounds excellent Anthy :love: and don't worry, no new users will be activated before Sunday midnight GMT - but then the gates will be open (if all goes according to plan that is).

Perhaps one suggestion (but it's really up to you ) to insert as a final note to your draft once your thread is up that people should PM or email you with suggestions rather than posting... or the other way round, that people should post in the thread rather than PMing you if they have input. The way I understand it, *this* thread will remain in the Jury room and so not everybody can post here. But, as I said.... the logistics and how you'd like to handle them are up to you (just as long as the 'how' is noted for all to see :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: