The Last Homely Site on the Web

To-do list for opening

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:01 pm
Per aspera ad astra

History forum to outside sounds like an excellent idea -and everything else I would have proposed to do, is alreaady done, or someone else has volounteered - people you are too fast for me!!!!!!!

I think newly accepted members should be added to All_Members and All_emailees as user groups.

What is the meaning of hovering?

And all yes for using Jny's text.

As for opening time, I can make it a bit later on the 27th (around 9 a.m) and sporadically, but my Father in Law gets operated (again) that day and it's my mother in law's birthday.... no presence in the evening.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 5:20 pm
Living in hope

Good point on All_emailees—I had forgotten that we do have members who have asked not to receive mass emails, so there has to be a separate group for that.

"Hovering" means hanging in midair without moving. As an idiom, it means staying around and watching anxiously, waiting for something to happen.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 6:32 pm

I think that the History forum should be readable. I think it would be one our best adverstisements. But I suppose we should put up another poll in there to decide.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 6:40 pm
Living in hope

I don't think we need a poll, Voronwe. The idea of the polls was to let a forum's "resident posters" have a say in whether it was readable. There aren't any "resident posters" in the History forum. Readability should be a policy choice, I think, and one that the admins could reasonably make—with input from anyone who wants to offer it, of course.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 6:53 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I agree with Prim and same of course for The Member's lounge.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 7:25 pm

Well, the Members' Lounge obviously can't be readable by non-members - that was the whole point of creating it. Am I the only one that thinks that History forum should be readable by non-members? Should we at least raise this issue in the convention, since so many of the threads in there come from the convention?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 7:37 pm
Living in hope

Voronwe, I don't disagree. I just hadn't thought about it.

I have no problem with having the forum readable by non-members. It isn't the same as the other archive, which is of disputes and could rightly be considered "family matters."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 8:14 pm
Triathlete

I think the History forum should be readable.
----------------------

Here's an update of what is left to do, as best I can follow your posts. Please feel free to edit my post if I've misinterpreted something.
done someone is working on it yet to be assigned

- revised Bikeroom sticky – done

- moving Jury room threads over to the 'History' Forum -done

- moving old business room threads over to History Forum in welcome
ongoing / confirm when finished

-"Admin" to "Ranger" on stickies, Admin posts, etc.

- Creation of Michel Delving forum (Mayor) – giving access to Jny to post Charter summary and do general organization- I'll do this

- New Comprehensive Guide to B77 - Anthy is doing this, laureanna is soliciting input in the Welcome forum.

- Summary of Invite Process –done

- Directory of Charter Convention threads- Jnyusa

-Someone needs to collect results, maybe post a thread in Business announcing them, and lock and unsticky those polls—or move to history? - Prim plans to do this, if no one else will.

- finishing sticky for TOE forum according to TOE sticky thread. Impenitent will get in touch with Rangers with final text when ready to put up with Admin ID

Grand opening ceremony planning thread. Committee heads: Maiden & Pippin ongoing

- deciding on exact b77 opening time (co-ordination) ongoing - we seem to all be drifting towards June 27, Sunday Night - Monday Morning, 0:00GMT, which is 4 PM Sunday, June 26, Pacific Time, I think.

- finish to switch off individual permissions. Voronwe is working on it, others might, too.

Schedules

18/19Jun
approx 10pm GMT: ALL poll threads for 'Should this forum be readable by non-members expire

- possibly move m77t geek forum to 'The Roundtable' depending on outcome of poll (Info/Welcome should only contain subfora that are accessible to all) - Prim asked if OK, will move if no objection

20/21Jun
11:59pm GMT expiry of >> (post results, lock, move)
Charter ratification Dispute resolution
Member rights
Changing Admin name

Updates on geocities pages accordingly by Alandriel

Final decision of exact opening time – boardwide announcement

Set up thread in Management re system for handling of new registrees to avoid doubles - not sure what this means.

Jun 25
9:30 am GMT expiry of (post results, lock, move)
TOE eligibility clause post result, lock and move
update on Geocities accordingly – Alandriel
Check sticky for TOE complete

Delete invites forum

11pm GMT expiry of
Threads that have to go before we open.

Jun 26 11:59pm GMTExpiry of Charter poll threads: post results, lock and move / who will do that?
Charter Ratification Art.4 Mayor
Charter ratification goals
Charter Ratification Ownership
Mission statement
Key Principles - Voronwe will do this

- moving of last business & jury room threads over to history.

- switching forum accesses – Alandriel
- Jny opens official ceremony

Post-opening:

- activate new users and log entries. Send welcome email
(Prim to do the honoraries for first new registree)

- update stickies (Change Admin-Ranger) Jury room, Bikeroom, Archive etc.

- Directory of Charter Convention threads - Jnyusa

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 9:12 pm
Living in hope

:bow: Thank you, laureanna! :bow:

I can do the Admin to Ranger change on stickies, etc., though I'll wait until the results are official.

I have taken care of the should-this-forum-be-readable polls and posted the results.

Edit: Jn is doing the admin-to-Ranger change. :love:

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Mon 20 Jun , 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 9:20 pm

That's great. Thanks, laureanna. :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 9:44 pm
WYSIWYG

Wow, you've been busy! :D

I've had a PM from Alandriel, about the point we found confusing:
Quote:
Set up thread in Management re system for handling of new registrees to avoid doubles

that caused confusion. Well, with new Admins coming in as of July 1st [...], it is necessary to have a new 'how to thread'

when a new poster registers, step 1,2,3,4 etc. written out so that anyone can follow the procedure easily and there is little room for hiccups and misunderstandings. By doubles I mean, more than 1 Ranger having to check and/or double check, more than one email getting sent out (a bit embarrassing ;) )

Basically it means re-doing theAdmin FAQ and how to. Delete my thread when done or toss into deleted threads storage. I don't mind either way.
I haven't seen anything on activating members in the thread mentioned above, and all the info there still seems fine, but I must say, I'd like step 1,2,3 written out, too, because I'm also a bit confused about the process (and so is Voronwe, as I see :) ) - we all have never activated a new poster.

Prim, you talked about sending the welcome mail: I thought the mail was sent automatically? So I thought we'd have to enter the text into the automated text somehow.

Alandriel also said the schedule should be displayed a bit more prominently, so we can report progress there and check at a glance what's to be done.
I agree, but am not sure it needs its own thread - the way I understood your first two posts here, Prim, you had meant to keep them updated with a schedule, so I was wondering whether you might edit the schedule (best maybe in laureanna's spiffy coloured version) into the first or second post of this thread?

(Oh, and we need to put on the to-do list to update the dates of office for admins, state the times for Eru's temp adminning, and, if Nin's plans turn out the way she says, that I stay till August now - also thanks to Alandriel for the reminder. :) )

Re, History Forum: hard to say. I had first thought it would end up underneath Business, so it would be readable.
If it ends up in Outside, I think it should not be readable, simply because I think it looks more orderly if that whole forum was not readable for non-members.
I don't think it would be very prejudicial to have it not readable, as all it takes to read it is to register, but concerning the subject matter, I think it would go better with Business than with the Outside forums.
Don't have very strong feelings either way, though.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 10:24 pm
Living in hope

Quick take on activating new members:

1. Go to the Usergroups tab at the top of the page. Add the new member to "All_Members" and "All emailees."

2. Go to the Admin Panel, and from the menu on the left choose "Management" under "User Admin."

3. Enter the user's name. On the page that appears, scroll down to the bottom admin-only section. Next to "User is active," click "Yes." This sends an automatic welcome email to the user. (You can also accomplish step 3 by clicking on the link in the email the board sent you to notify you of the new registration.)

4. Copy the user's email address.

5. Go to the Ranger email account and, from there, send the user a copy of the Mayor's welcome email. This is a personal greeting, not the automatic one the board kicks out.

6. Go to this post in the Rangers' forum and enter the user's name, the date, and your name in the correct alphabetical position under "List of Activated Users."

That's it! :)

Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 10:31 pm

Where is the Mayor's email? Have we gotten that from Jn? Does it talk about TOE?

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 10:47 pm
WYSIWYG

Why don't we just click on the link we get in the mail sent to us when someone registers?

And why do we still have to do No. six? Or is this just for the first time, so we can keep an overview of what's happening?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:04 pm
Living in hope

1. Mayor's email—I am presuming we'll have gotten that from Jn. I don't know whether it talks about ToE.

2. I'll add that you can also click on the link in the email. However, I think the person should be added to the groups first, so that permissions are right the moment they're active.

3. I think when we're getting a lot of registrations, it makes sense to do step 6 so we have a convenient list of who has recently registered, so we know who registered them and that everything was done, and so we don't register people twice. When things slow down, maybe it won't be so important; but on the other hand, it might be convenient to have a pre-compiled list of everyone's registration dates. The Mayor will need that information.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:21 pm
Living in hope

I have moved laureanna's list into the first post and edited in a couple of updates.

laureanna, I have to say, the color idea is brilliant. It makes it really easy to pick out what's urgent.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:31 pm

Quote:
3. I think when we're getting a lot of registrations, it makes sense to do step 6 so we have a convenient list of who has recently registered, so we know who registered them and that everything was done, and so we don't register people twice. When things slow down, maybe it won't be so important; but on the other hand, it might be convenient to have a pre-compiled list of everyone's registration dates. The Mayor will need that information.
I was going to say "but wouldn't the user list itself be a convenient list of who has recently registered (since it is sorted by registration date), but then I realized that the Mayor would not have access to that list.
Quote:
laureanna, I have to say, the color idea is brilliant. It makes it really easy to pick out what's urgent.
I agree. :love:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:35 pm
Living in hope

Well, there is a member list accessible to all that is sorted by registration date, so pfft goes that reason for step 6. :)

However, I think the other reasons are valid for the time around registration. Of course the Rangers are free to decide otherwise! But suppose someone gives an invalid email address or something—that list is a way to follow what's going on and who's handling it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 11:39 pm
WYSIWYG

Very good points all, Prim, thanks! :)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Jun , 2005 12:15 am

I've renamed, unstickied, and locked the ratification threads that just ended a few minutes ago. I'll leave them in the Business Room for a day or so and then move them into the History Forum.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: