The Last Homely Site on the Web

To-do list for opening

Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 2:44 am
Triathlete

Yes, Alaska is on daylight savings time, one hour earlier than Pacific Time. But don't change the opening time for me. I'm happy to pitch when I have free time, but it doesn't have to be right when the board opens.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 3:01 am
Living in hope

Laureanna has pointed out that we still need to finish switching off members' individual permissions.

I have not been contributing to this effort, and I feel bad about that. I'm hoping that on the 21st and 22nd I can put in several hours on it. Not before, though—I don't have long stretches of time here.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 8:08 am
Per aspera ad astra

Sunday two a.m is out of the question in the current situation. Monday morning 27th I think I don't work, so I could be here - but not before 8 or 9 a.m.

Just to explain, why even in this exceptionnal situation it's not possible: I am facing a serious crisis in my marriage, and it's very important to stay off the computer at odd hours or when my husband is at home. I love you all, I love this board, but I love him even more than this.

Sorry to cause this trouble, I'll be there to open the doors on D-day in some way.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 10:52 am
WYSIWYG

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Quote:
If it's at five pm for you, i.e. basically still office hours, then maybe you could also make it an hour or two earlier?
We can't make it earlier then that because the polls don't end until then.
Oh, ok, I see. That's very short term then, isn't it? Opening the same second the polls end? Don't we have to do something with the polls first, add to the charter or whatever? Or can we do the fine-tuning later, and just open anyway?
Quote:
Quote:
I would add the person to All_Members first, then click the link in the email.
Do we even have the email for all of the people that have registered but have not been activated? Even those who registered before any of us became admins? Is clicking on the link in the email the only way that members can get activated?
The email addies they registered with are in the user list. ;)
(At least those who registered since we came up with the idea to put them in a waiting loop - before, I noticed, the ID was just deleted, so there's no way to activate the three or four mystery people who registered months ago - not a problem, though, I think.)
(Didn't you have to use the addy in the userlist anyway when you sent the not-yet mails? I did, I wouldn't have known where else to find people's e-mails, because it's not in the mail that notifies you of the registration.)
Quote:
As for the manual welcome email that we will send, I personally would dearly love to include the text of the Mission Statement in the email, although I suspect that that idea may not be a popular one.
I had thought of including the mission statement in the mail I mean to send to notify people of our opening - people should know what this is about in order to get them interested.
Maybe rephrase it a bit if it sounds too formal or aloof, but I think the essence should be in the welcoming mails, yes.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 12:59 pm
Living in hope

Nin, :hug: . You and your husband are in my prayers.

Don't give this place a thought, unless coming here helps take your mind off things.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:02 pm

Hobby, I'm not asking whether we have the email addresses (I know where those are). I'm asking whether we have the emails themselves with the links in it to click on to activate the accounts.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:07 pm
Living in hope

Actually, you know those come to the admins, so unless we kept them, no.

It doesn't matter, though. When you manage the user there is a box to click to activate them, and you need to go there anyway to take "Not yet an active member" out of the Location box.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:18 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I kept a few - I'll have to check which ones.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:19 pm

Thanks, Prim, that's what I was asking. I assumed that there was some other way to activate people, but I did not know what it was.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:39 pm
WYSIWYG

Sorry, got that wrong, Voronwe.

But the e-mails are still all in the b77.com e-mail program - they may appear deleted, but you can still access them, so I guess you could still use the link, too.

Prim, but does activating them send the welcome e-mail?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:41 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I still have the mails for S-O, bornilon, ThewhiteTree, Erinhue and 10FTTALL... and hobby is right we can still access them through the other mail.

Yes, it does send a mail.... but I don't remember which one.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:45 pm
Living in hope

I think it sends the same welcome email.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 2:37 pm
WYSIWYG

Alandriel has sent me this list she made of "things to do" - I'm posting it here for a start, but if you think it would help to have it more prominently displayed somewhere, I think we could do that.

I think we have everything covered and taken care of, but nevertheless it's nice, I think, to have such a clear, orderly list of things to do, to check back with.

So here is what Alandriel put together:
Quote:
- revised Bikeroom sticky – done truehobbit

- moving Jury room threads over to the 'History' Forum in welcome (to be renamed)
Completed (Prim – confirmation?).

- moving old business room threads over to History Forum in welcome
ongoing / confirm when finished

- Creation of Michel Delving forum (Mayor) – giving access to Jny to post Charter summary and do general organization

- New Comprehensive Guide to B77 .. who? Anthy volunteered but needs confirmation

- Summary of Invite Process – voronwe initially volunteered?

- Directory of Charter Convention threads- Jnyusa

- finishing sticky for TOE forum according to TOE sticky thread. Impenitent will get in touch with Rangers with final text when ready to put up with Admin ID

Grand opening ceremony planning thread. Committee heads: Maiden & Pippin ongoing

- deciding on exact b77 opening time (co-ordination) ongoing

- finish to switch off individual permissions. Comfirmation when done!

Schedules

18/19Jun
approx 10pm GMT: ALL poll threads for 'Should this forum be readable by non-members expire

- possibly move m77t geek forum to 'The Roundtable' depending on outcome of poll (Info/Welcome should only contain subfora that are accessible to all)

20/21Jun 11:59pm GMT expiry of >> (post results, lock, move)
Charter ratification Dispute resolution
Member rights
Changing Admin name

Updates on geocities pages accordingly by Alandriel

Final decision of exact opening time – boardwide announcement

Set up thread in Management re system for handling of new registrees to avoid doubles

Jun 25
9:30 am GMT expiry of (post results, lock, move)
TOE eligibility clause post result, lock and move
update on Geocities accordingly – Alandriel
Check sticky for TOE complete

Delete invites forum

11pm GMT expiry of
Threads that have to go before we open.

Jun 26 11:59pm GMTExpiry of Charter poll threads: post results, lock and move / who will do that?
Charter Ratification Art.4 Mayor
Charter ratification goals
Charter Ratification Ownership
Mission statement
Key Principles

- moving of last business & jury room threads over to history.

- switching forum accesses – Alandriel
- Jny opens official ceremony

Post-opening:
- activate new users and log entries. Send welcome email
(Prim to do the honoraries for first new registree)
- update stickies (Change Admin-Ranger) Jury room, Bikeroom, Archive etc.
- Directory of Charter Convention threads - Jnyusa
-

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 2:48 pm
Triathlete

Someone needs to go thru and change all the references to "admin" over to "ranger". There are only 2291 references .....

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 2:52 pm
WYSIWYG

Ok, a few comments of mine on this:

- it looks to me as if Anthy was quite confirmed for the task of the Comprehensive Guide - laureanna mentioned it in her thread in Info/Welcome, too

- summary of invite process: I thought that was the text Jny had posted in the Jury Room, so I thought that was done?
Quote:
- possibly move m77t geek forum to 'The Roundtable' depending on outcome of poll (Info/Welcome should only contain subfora that are accessible to all)
Good idea, I think.
Quote:
Set up thread in Management re system for handling of new registrees to avoid doubles
I don't understand what's meant by this. :scratch

Re, all the expiry dates: when polls expire, do we move the threads somewhere?

Quote:
deciding on exact b77 opening time (co-ordination) ongoing
Some info on where we stand now:

Voronwe suggested three times:
June 27th 0:00 GMT
June 27th 0:00 PST (7:00 AM GMT)
June 27th 2:00PM GMT

Alandriel can't make the second one, before an hour or so later than that, but otherwise is ok with any option.
Voronwe is ok with any option but would prefer the first.
I could at a pinch make it to any option, but would prefer the first, too.
Nin can't make the first, but has said she doesn't insist on being there the moment we open.
laureanna also said she doesn't insist on being there the moment we open, and I don't know her preferences.
I don't know anything about Prim.

Can we say that we are leaning towards the first option or is anyone strictly against it? Are there any other preferences?

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 2:54 pm
WYSIWYG

laureanna - do you think we need to be that thorough? :Q
I'd have thought we just change it in the charter text.

Maybe we could have an official "henceforth the admins are called Rangers" post somewhere, so all the previous references to "admins" would be ok. ;) :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 3:12 pm
Living in hope

A few things from here:
  • Yes, the Jury Room threads have all been moved.
  • Jn's summary of Invites posted in the Jury Room looked excellent to me.
  • Pips apparently has lost Internet access at least for now, so Mossy might need some help with the Grand Opening Committee.
  • Re: readability of forums polls: Someone needs to collect results, maybe post a thread in Business announcing them, and lock and unsticky those polls—or move to history? I could do this tonight, if no one else has gotten to it.
  • I, too, don't know what Alandriel means about "system to avoid doubles."
  • "Admin" does need to be changed to Ranger in anything people refer to—no need to do it in old threads.
  • When charter poll threads expire, they get moved to History.
  • I am fine with any opening time, though the earliest is my favorite—but I know it is inconvenient for Europe.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 3:34 pm

Quote:
Jun 26 11:59pm GMTExpiry of Charter poll threads: post results, lock and move / who will do that?
Charter Ratification Art.4 Mayor
Charter ratification goals
Charter Ratification Ownership
Mission statement
Key Principles
I will do this.
Quote:
- summary of invite process: I thought that was the text Jny had posted in the Jury Room, so I thought that was done?
Yes, Jn has done this already, with her usual style and grace. :)
Quote:
Re: readability of forums polls: Someone needs to collect results, maybe post a thread in Business announcing them, and lock and unsticky those polls—or move to history? I could do this tonight, if no one else has gotten to it.
That would be great, Prim. I do think they should be moved to history - or deleted.

Quote:
I, too, don't know what Alandriel means about "system to avoid doubles."
Me neither.

Now I have an ignorant question. What happens when a member is "activated"? Does clicking on that link turn their individual permissions on? Do we then need to go turn those individual permissions off when we add them to the proper groups? Sorry to be so ignorant.

Also, am I remembering correctly that Jn wanted to send the official greeting to new members as acting mayor? Didn't she say she had drafted an email?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 3:48 pm
Living in hope

I'll move the forum opening polls to History at least for now. I don't think they should be deleted, as there are posts in them from members.

As for activating members, no, activating them does nothing to their permissions (fortunately for us, with the new system). It just means they can take advantage of whatever permissions they have. I would suggest adding people to All_Members before clicking "activate" in case they're hovering.

I also remember Jn saying something about the greeting. As she's honorary Mayor, she could certainly do that for opening. I believe the Rangers actually send the emails, because the Mayor doesn't have access to those; Jn would just give us a list, though that isn't necessary right when we open, and we would take care of pasting it into an email and sending it out.

So, basically, if Jn has written such an email, she just needs to make the text available and Rangers will use that for the Welcome emails they send.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:22 pm
Living in hope

In a fit of irresponsibility, I took a break from work and moved the poll threads and posted an announcement in Business about the results. Only the m77t forum voted to remain unreadable, and as Alandriel has suggested, I think that means it should be moved to Roundtable so Welcome has no unreadable forums. I left that poll thread in place and posted in it to ask if forum members would object to the move. I don't imagine they would—it shouldn't break links or anything.

I found myself wondering what else will be readable and what will not—did we formally decide? I would guess that Outside should not be readable, but what about the history forum? If that's to be hidden, it, too, should be moved—maybe to Outside?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: