The Last Homely Site on the Web

Board 77 Admin rotation - VOLUNTEER!!

Locked   Page 4 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 4:32 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Eru, as anxious as you are to give up the job, I am not terribly anxious to see you go. I think you have done a great job and were always involved.
If our next admins can follow your footsteps, we will be very fortunate. Thanks again for all you have done.

[ img ]

Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 9:40 am
Garrulous Griffon

I'll stay on Alandriel - heck, it is only now with the connection at home that I can really dig in! :mrgreen:

Eru - you are doing a swell job! Sorry to see you go ... sure you won't stay on a bit? :(

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 12:29 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Great to hear that Griff :mrgreen:

Okies.... takes a deep breath ;)... here I go... I'll put up the first poll.... so Eru can start breathing easier (and Gimli) They deserve a break ;) ... besides, I'm sure Eru, this one won't have been your last stint as an admin :mrgreen:

here is the poll

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2005 4:53 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Griffon64 wrote:
Eru - you are doing a swell job! Sorry to see you go ... sure you won't stay on a bit? :(
I don't think I'm allowed to Griff. ;)

Thanks Holby. :)

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 12:22 pm
Milk and kisses

As the recent problems illustrate (people registering on B77 without an admin around), I think that we need as many admins as possible; maybe even give admin powers to anyone who volunteers to do the job. Especially since it looks like we're not going to have "formal" mods, so that our admins are more of a technical support staff position.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 2:47 pm
WYSIWYG

I've been reading the concerns about not having enough people volunteering to be admins - maybe it's just shyness?

As to nominating others, although I could think of lots of people who I'd like to see as admins, I haven't the foggiest idea who wants to be an admin, or who has the time to serve as one, so I just don't know who to suggest.

So, I'll just venture to say that I'd be happy to serve as admin.

Feels so daft to say that - and I really hate putting myself forward - hate it, HATE IT, HATE IT! -
I mean, if people thought I should do it, they'd nominate me, right?

But maybe that's just what everybody is thinking?

Maybe my showing up will encourage others to do so, too! :mrgreen:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 7:40 pm
Milk and kisses

Thanks Hobby! :) All help is greatly appreciated.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 8:03 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I like the idea of nominating someone who we feel is good for the job, and giving them the chance afterwords no decline or not.
There are a lot of people here (as in, everyone :smile: ) who would make really good admins, but a lot of them are to shy/humble/modest to put themselves forward - we gots to do it for them =:) :mrgreen:

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Feb , 2005 8:58 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

I nominate Truehobbit for the next round of elections.

There. :) Of course you'd make a fine admin.

How about we just ask people if they're willing, and keep a list of names of those who have the time and incination?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 3:43 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I am also in favour of a prospective Admin being nominated, perhaps even seconded. At the moment we all know one another pretty well, I don't think we have any cliques, and no-one needs to introduce said nominee to the rest of the community. But there may come a point when it would be helpful to spell out someone's qualities that make them a suitable admin choice.

Then all we have to do is hope that our membership vote based on who they think would be best to do the job right now, not just on who their best mate is! :smile:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 4:10 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nominating people was and is exactly the idea for this thread :mrgreen:
Only we had it originally that before nominating somone, please get in touch with them via PM to check if they'be willing .. just to make things easier and more clear.
However, I don't mind going with Estel's suggestions either.

Will keep this thread updated with 'willing' parties listed in the first post. Will add TrueHobbit to that :mrgreen: and will keep Leoba and also Peeg.
(unless someone tells me something to the contrary)

truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:09 pm
WYSIWYG

Thanks, Jny! :D

Yes, nominating is the main point of the thread, but no one was being nominated any more, so I think we hit on a problem.

LOL, Estel is right: basically I think everybody would make a fine admin, so I'd like to just nominate everybody. Picking someone is the rub! :mrgreen:

Leoba, unfortunately, nomination IS a cliquey business, even in a place where everybody knows everybody else at least formally. It depends on how popular and "noticeable" (sorry, don't have a good word for that feature) someone is with others.

Actually, I think this is really tricky: self-nomination works best for those who have no problem to say they want a job, like our first generation of admins.
Being nominated, however, only works for those who have a lot of contact with other members or are successful at getting noticed.

So, I think, finding people for the admin role (or other future offices on b77) should happen in both ways.

On the one hand, people may be too shy to put themselves forward, so, like Estel said, if you think someone would be good at the job but is too shy to show up, nominate them!

On the other hand, I think self-nomination should not be discouraged. I'm the first to say it's extremely unpleasant to nominate yourself, and it's most likely awkward for everybody else to see self-nominations. But that way you'd know someone is really interested, without having to ask them on IM or so, and the member interested wouldn't have to rely on being popular and noticeable enough to be nominated.

We could have it so that the person volunteering should give some ideas on why they think they'd qualify to be an admin, how much time they'd be able to dedicate to the job and things like that, so they'd not volunteer unthinkingly. Once there are so many posters that it's impossible to know them all, this would be even be necessary.

I agree that having someone seconding a nomination, whether self-nomination or nomination by someone else, is a good idea, especially once we get a lot of people and knowing each and everybody on the boards becomes harder.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 7:37 pm
Not so deep as a well

I second anyone willing to nominate themselves at this juncture. :)

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Feb , 2005 11:44 pm
Sharpe-sighted

I thought I said back in December that you can count me in as volunteer.

Just wanted to repeat that for the record.

[ img ]

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 7:43 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:oops: Sorry Areanor. You sure did slip me by....
but that is all rectified now :mrgreen: Thanks!

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:13 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Quote:
update 8FEB:

Volunteers: Leoba, Peeg, TrueHobbit, Areanor

Admin take over (ex 6Feb): Eruname/Gimli -> Rodia & Estel
Current Admins are: Griffon, Berhael, Rodia, Estel
:scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused:

Ok, I'm confused. Maybe stupid, but definitely confused.

Firstly, we're supposed to have seperate votes for each replacement admin, right? Cause as far as I know, we only had the vote to replace Eru.

Secondly, if we're not having seperate votes and are supposed to instead go on 1st and 2nd percentages, then Leoba has more votes than Ro, so I'm still confused.

Thirdly, I am not a current admin. I have no adminning (sp? :P ) abilities - trust me, after seeing this post, I've tried - can't do a thing. I know Ro was made an admin for emergency purposes, but I don't see a title for her, so I don't know if she is still one or not.

I guess my question is, are we following the voting rules we set for ourselves or not? Cause I am totally and utterly confused.

:scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused: :scratch :help: :confused:

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:16 am

And I just found out I'm not supposed to be an admin anymore. I thought I wasn't supposed to lose this job until the weekend at least.

No clue as to what's going on either.

Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:20 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

At least we know we're not alone in our confusion ;) :drunk:

I am feeling really really stupid about this whole thing - I mean, I know the nine days aren't up yet for the voting, right?

So, it's not a set deal yet.....

I think I'm going to go to bed and see if my brain works in the morning :tired:

night Eru :smile: :hug:

Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:36 am

Alassante_Estel wrote:
I am feeling really really stupid about this whole thing - I mean, I know the nine days aren't up yet for the voting, right?

So, it's not a set deal yet.....
That's what I thought as well...plus Ber and some others seemed to want me to stay on to handle the load.

So don't know what to do.

Sleep well Estel. :)

*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 7:55 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Sorry folks for causing you confusion... seems I'm confused myself.

I saw that Berhael 'on emergency' said Rodia (and I thought Estel too) were made Admins. :scratch
Quote:
I'll be giving Estel (and Rodia) admin status this evening, and then we can take other decisions.
(Berhael)

Berhael :help:

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 4 of 8  [ 141 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Jump to: