Non-Charter Items:
• Handbook for the Mayor
• Updates to Ranger Handbook
-- Administrator Handbook gives outdated ref. to Extraordinary powers
-- Administrator Handbook needs update for Michel Delving

•Article 7: Binding Votes and Initiatives of the Membership Binding Votes

•Article 8: Policy on Thread deletions
Policy on Thread Deletion

•Ad Hoc Committee on Consistency within the Charter (put all amendments of a corrective nature to member vote at one time)
Consistency of the Charter
I took care of the cosmetic changes already. Substantive changes remain to be discussed. What's in the thread, plus:
-- e-mail request from the address used to register; amend Article 3, 5
-- Amend Article 3, ¶5 for existence of committee (being ratified under committees; we can fill in when done)

• Privacy Policy
RL Names

• Naming the charter
What’s in a Name?

• Article 4: Office of the Mayor
¶5: Grounds and Procedures for Removal of the Mayor - added
¶3: Forum Used by the Mayor - amended
¶4: Election of the Mayor - added
¶1: Amend for age and seconded nominations - amended
Now up for ratification

• Article 5: Dispute resolution
¶6: Hearings to Remove Elected Officials - added
Statutes of Limitations in ¶4, ¶5 and ¶8 - added
+ Minor amendments
Now up for ratification

• Article 11: Standing and Ad Hoc Committees
Now up for ratification.

• Article 9: Policy on Forum Readability
Now up for ratification.

• Decide where to permanently store for member access:
-- Handbooks
-- Summary of Charter and Full Charter
-- All the committee threads in the Jury room.

Last edited by Jnyusa on Fri 15 Jul , 2005 2:08 am, edited 27 times in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:32 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Re: needs attention before opening: storing of 'handbooks'.
I think we agreed to have the full texts available on b77's free yahoo geocities pages in both pdf (Ax :) ) and txt format. As offered before, I'd be happy to upload that and get it organized. Tonight I hope I get a bit of free time and will begin to put something together so you can have a peek what it might look like :)

- Bikerack sticky: slight adjustment to read list of mediators (instead of jurors) 2nd post edit

I know we approved opening just as soon as the charter was ratified but might it not be wise to include into that the election of the Mayor too? (with associated items like creation of forum Michel Delving, threads, ID, access)
I know I know I'm opening a can of worms here but I just had to ask...just roughly when in the timeline this will go forward

edit again: forget that last point. I wrote it before having caught up on some other threads.

Last edited by *Alandriel* on Tue 07 Jun , 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 12:59 pm
Living in hope

I'd like to suggest that we create a separate archive for the locked charter threads. I think they should be accessible, but the Jury Room should probably be kept tidy for use in case it's needed for a hearing. It's part of the working structure of the board.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 1:41 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Good call Prim :)

Another thing I just remembered: we also need to revamp the Comprehensive Guide to B77 thread
before we open ;)
It would be just very neat and easy dropping a linked ref to that in welcoming emails :D

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 2:39 pm

What to call the charter.

Some suggestions that have been made:
Charter
Constitution
Dirt and Wires
Red Book

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:10 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Updated.

Alandriel - getting the geocities stuff up would be wonderful. I would also like to put the Charter summary in Michel Delving if that's approved. If we create a Mayor's forum, it can be used for records other than those strictly required of the mayor - a sort of point of reference for the whole board for official stuff, so that the b-room won't be covered with stickies all the time.

Prim - I also like the idea of a separate Archive for convention threads. This place looks like the floor of a convention hall the day after the convention, doesn't it? The only thing missing is a lot of cigarette butts.

Alandriel - we probably should have dealt with mayorial elections before opening but I couldn't face another issue right now if my life depended on it. We might - for sake of consistency and expediency - consider the binding vote requirements for mayor election, charter amendment and other member votes all at the same time.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:31 pm

Will we be creating a Mayor's Handbook?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:38 pm

Yes. It says so!

But you know what ... we need to create the Mayor's forum first ...[sigh] I've got a lot of ideas about how to make this job easy, easy, easy so that the Mayor really only has to look at easy-to-find records once a week and forward info to admins, but I don't want to take too much upon myself with this being an elected position and me definitely not running for it, whatever V-Man says.

Perhaps I can make some suggestions once the forum is created, put up templates of the 'form letters' the Mayor would use, suggest what threads would be useful, and write up the Handbook with the efficient procedures as I imagine them ... and some admin can use the Mayor screen name to get the appropriate threads in that forum started. ALL WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT whoever becomes the mayor can customize everything to their own idiom once they are in office.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 4:52 pm

Quote:
I don't want to take too much upon myself with this being an elected position and me definitely not running for it, whatever V-Man says
Jn, in all honesty, as much as I think that you would do a great job in this position, I really do think that you have already given far more then your fair share to this community, and that it is time for some else to step up. So I might joke about it, but I don't really mean it. :)

And I also can think of a number of other people who I think will make great mayors, so its not like we will not be in very capable hands (yes, I know, another one of my double negatives).

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 7:00 pm
Thanks to Holby

I think it's time I left the committee. My time is going to be more limited in the coming weeks, and I can already feel myself losing my grip on what is on-going.

It's been a truly wonderful experience working with you all. I think it has been a noble endeavor, and that we have built something lasting that can continue on without us if need be.

(If it turns out that you don't get any new volunteers, let me know and I will stay on if whoever is leading thinks it would help.)

:love:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 7:11 pm

Cerin, thank you so much for your participation and for all the hours you put into the Mission Statement.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:13 pm

Speaking of "whoever is leading" I would be more then happy to let someone else step up to the plate and take over that role. I said that I would do it up to the point of getting everything that needed to be done to open, and we have reached that point. I would really be happy if someone else was willing to take over.

Or perhaps we don't really need someone to be the designated discussion leader at this point, without having the pressure of trying to get enough done to be able to open?

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:42 pm

Maybe each of us can take charge of one thread and move through several of the agenda items simulataneously.

Btw, Alandriel mentioned above the correction to the Bike Racks sticky ... did you go ahead and use your admin powers to make that change, Viv? Or did you not want to do that. If not, someone who can use the Administrator i.d. needs to do it. Thanks.

Jn

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:43 pm
WYSIWYG

I thought that what's left to do was mostly wrapping things up - or are there any more big discussions upcoming?

Because I think unless there's something lengthy still waiting, it would be easier if Voronwe could stay as discussion leader, if one is needed, as he knows what's to be done etc, so we won't have to "train" someone new just for the last bit of the way.

Pretty please? :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:46 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

A bit less pressure once all the things are ratified will definitely be good. I don't really think we need a discussion leader per se, just work down the list of things to be finished Jny is furnishing us with.

Thanks for all the help Cerin. You've poured an enormous amount of energy and time into this. I hope you'll be reading along though :)

As for HOW things might look like: have a peek here . I've just uploaded a few things on our free geocities pages. Of course - please consider this just a draft (especially considering the 'order of things').
I also need input on how it looks like for you (since I only have a PC, not a Mac and operate on IE and not Mozilla or Firefox like some of you). Only a few links are active at present - that's as much as I got done this evening.

Any suggestions and comments are very welcome (or might it be better to open a new thread on this in order not to clutter up this one??)

PS to Jny: I haven't changed anything. I'm not officially an Admin ;) ... and I'm sure the wonderful 5 are very capable :D

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 8:52 pm
WYSIWYG

Ok, I made some changes to the second post in the Bike Racks Sticky - could someone please check if it's ok? There was more to change than just a name, I thought.

I completely took out this sentence: If you prefer never to serve on a jury, you must contact the admins to have your name removed. - it seems that we had envisioned obligatory jury duty :scratch

Let me know if it needs to go back in! :)

And I just wanted to add many thanks to Cerin too, for putting in a lot of intense work! :)

Edit: agreed on everybody taking on one item and doing them simultaneously, Jny! :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 9:01 pm
WYSIWYG

Alandriel, the site looks great! :Q :D

(I'm very tempted to steal that background ;) - did you make it yourself?)

The lines in blue are too small to read even in my 600x800 resolution though - I guess in a modern standard resolution they are invisible.

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 9:34 pm

Hobby - the Bike Racks sticky looks fine now. Thanks for taking care of that! I don't remember where that one sentence was situated before, but it doesn't feel 'missing' to me now, so ... good enough. :)

I'm off to Alandriel's geocities site. Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Jn

Edit: Oh man, that is going to be soooo pretty, Alandriel. And it is laid out most conveniently. (We can tweak the final version a bit, can we? - to follow the structure of the charter?)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:33 pm

Hobby, I suppose I could help nudge things along when necessary. Eru knows that I have shown a talent for that. :)

Viv, that looks great. :love:

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:03 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

May I suggest that if there is an appreciable amount of time and things left to do, that we repopulate the committee.
Some of us are tired and need a break (me), but don't want to leave the committee short.
Is there any kind of ballpark figure as to how much there is left to do?
If it is only going to be another week or two, then I'll stick it out.
However if it is going to extend beyond that, then I would like a replacement.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 76 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: