board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Tolkien on Film: Essays on Peter Jackson's the Lord of the R

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 85 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject: Tolkien on Film: Essays on Peter Jackson's the Lord of the R
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 4:45 pm

I picked up this link from a new thread that Kezmoid posted in m00bies (I really wanted to be able to respond to him; its the first time that my banning really hit home). Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the book from Amazon; hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks. I'll probably post some thoughts about here as I go.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

According to Kez (not sure where he got this info, as I didn't see it on the Amazon link he posted), here are the essays:
Quote:
The Essays

Janet Brennan Croft, "Introduction"

Film History: J.E. Smyth, "The Three Ages of Imperial Cinema from the Death of Gordon to The Return of the King"

Adaptation and Revision: David Bratman, "Summa Jacksonica: A Reply to Defenses of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings films, after St. Thomas Aquinas"

Janet Brennan Croft, "Mithril Coats and Tin Ears: 'Anticipation' and 'Flattening' in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy"

Diana Paxson, "Re-vision: The Creative Process in The Lord of the Rings In Print and On Screen"

Heroes and Leaders: Kayla McKinney Wiggins, "The Art of theStory-Teller and the Person of the Hero"

Dan Timmons, "Frodo on Film: Peter Jackson's Problematic Portrayal"

Judith Kollmann, "Elisions and Ellipses: Councils and Counsel in Tolkien's and Jackson's The Lord of the Rings"

A Woman's Part: Jane Chance, "Tolkien's Women (and Men): The Films and the Books"

Cathy Akers-Jordan, "Fairy Princess or Tragic Heroine? The Metamorphosis of Arwen Undomiel in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Films"

Victoria Gaydosik, " 'Crimes Against the Book'? The Transformation of Tolkien's Arwen from Page to Screen and the Abandonment of the Psyche Archetype"

Maureen Thum, "The 'Sub-Subcreation' of Galadriel, Arwen, and Éowyn: Women of Power in Tolkien's and Jackson's The Lord of the Rings"

Fan Fiction: Susan Booker, "Tales Around the Internet Campfire: Fan Fiction in Tolkien's Universe"

Amy H. Sturgis, "Make Mine 'Movieverse': How the Tolkien Fan Fiction Community Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Peter Jackson"

The Lucky Number: Mark Shea, "The Lord of the Rings: A Source-Critical Analysis"
Sounds very interesting.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 5:06 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks for the Heads-up Voronwe, I'll look for a copy on amazon.co.uk

Alatar

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 8:44 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Oh man, that looks exciting, Voronwe.

[sigh] I can't wait for the summer when I can actually get into what has turned into a humongous reading list! How come all my friends are so smart and turn up so many good books?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 6:08 am
Nameless

Well, I say we just swipe the titles of each essay and use them as thread topics. It reads like a ready-made LOTR m00bies forum, doesn't it? ;)

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 6:45 am

Ath, you did it again. :hug:

Except this time I simply left the thought unsaid, or rather, left if for you to say it. ;)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 10:27 pm

I received this book in the mail today (about three weeks faster then Amazon said it would be). Have only looked at the back cover so far. For any considering buying the book, here is what the back cover says:
Quote:
This collection of scholarly but lively and entertaining essays addresses various aspects of Peter Jackon's film adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. SOme the issues discussed include scriptwriting and the creative process, the place of the films in cinematic history, gender roles in teh films and the books, wisdom and councils, hobbits and heroism, and fan culture and fan fiction.

Unlike those critics who respond to the Peter Jackson movies in gushing superlatives, these essayists are truly critical; i.e., they seek to break apart (as the workd implies) the cinematic version of the The Lord of the Rings so as to discern how the films both succeed and fail, and why their massive popularity is both to be praised and lamented.
Ralph C. Wood
Author of The Gspel According to Tolkien

Happily ther's something for everyone. Whether you love the films or loate them or find yourself somewhere along the sliding scale in between, you wil find well-argued essays ranging from teh Valar to the Very Secret Diaries. no matter what your viewpoint on Peter Jackson's adaptation of Tolkien's masterpiece, this collection has much to offer and sets the bar for Tolkein Film studies to come.
Anne C. Petty
Author of One Ring to Bind Them All: Tolkien's Mythology

Whether you love or hate the films their existence is now part of the territory and their impact deserves the balanced assessment [/i]Tolkien on Film provides. With a selection of essays nicely matched both con and pro, this volume gives a much-needed critical overview of the current state of the discourse. I read it with real interest.
Verlyn Flieger
Author of SplinteredLight: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World

I suspect that it will be mostly negative, but I don't know for sure. I suppose that I will post some of my impressions here, but I really would rather discuss it with others who also have read it/are reading it. (Hint, hint ;)).

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 10:58 pm
of Vinyamar

Ok, I'll bite. Give me a couple of weeks to order it. Provided it's available on Amazon.co.uk that is.

Alatar

*EDIT: Sorry, Voronwe, not available on Amazon.co.uk*

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 9:41 pm

Bumped in the hope that it catches the eye of some of our new m00bie type folk, particularly Queen B whose opinion about the first essay I would dearly like to hear.

Supid Amazon.co.uk :rage:

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 9:59 pm
through the looking glass

I am promised a Borders gift card as a birthday present within a day or two. I'll be ordering this essay collection.

Look for my return in a week or two. Less, if it ships as fast for me as it did for you.

Some fascinating topics, this one in particular ...

Janet Brennan Croft, "Mithril Coats and Tin Ears: 'Anticipation' and 'Flattening' in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy"

Oh, and get Semprini in here post-haste.

:D

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 10:39 pm

Sounds interesting. :)

That essay on "anticipation" and "flattening" was posted on TORC a few weeks ago and we discussed it.

I will have to try to get hold of this book!

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 10:43 pm

Sass, I have a feeling it might be hard to get in Europe. But I would dearly love to have folks like Semprini and Queen B and Tele and Marty and others who are more knowledgable then me comment on the first essay in particular.

Hopefully the book will become more widely available at some point.

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 10:44 pm

Voronwe, you mean the essay on "imperial cinema?" Sounds interesting.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 11:10 pm

Yes, exactly. I've just glanced at it so far, and I think its probably a bit over my head, but interesting. The sense that I get from the book is that its overall slant is more negative then positive, but its really too soon for me to make that judgment.

I do hope that others can their hands on it.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 3:51 am
Best friends forever

I'm looking forward to reading this thread. I doubt that I'll be able to contribute much since I know very little about "the cinema", but it's going to be fun to read what others have to say.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 4:04 am

vison, I've read some of it. There are parts that I am sure that you would like very much, as they strongly agree with your view of the films. From what I've gathered so far, the essays either take a strong position against the films or a fairly balanced, non-judgmental look at particular aspects of the adaptation. I think you can guess which of the types I appreciate more. ;) I have read anything yet that strongly supports the films. Not surprising, as the editor of the collection is one who wrote one of the strongest-worded pieces criticizing the films.

I'll probably post a brief summary of each essay and my opinions thereof when I finish the book (which I am reading quite slowly). But I am hopeful that others will be able to get their hands on it.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 8:11 pm
Living in hope

I'm wavering on ordering this, Voronwe. Not that I can't read negative criticism of the films, but just--is there illumination there? Are they interesting criticisms?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 8:27 pm

Prim, I've gotten less then halfway through so far, so I can't make a really accurate judgment, but there have been some stuff that I have found interesting and helpful. I think it is worth having. I'll update this judgment once I finish the book.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 12:09 am

I ordered this (along with Letters and Author of the Century which have arrived) well over a month ago.
It's supposed to arrive on the 26th April. I keep checking obsessively but Amazon hasn's shipped it yet.

:(

Hang on Voronwe. I'll get here eventually.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 1:46 am

<sigh>

Amazon has pushed my order back.
Again.

:rage: :bawl: :rage:
Quote:
Shipping estimate: April 21, 2005 - June 8, 2005
Delivery estimate: April 26, 2005 - June 17, 2005
Items Ordered Price
1 of: Tolkien on Film: Essays on Peter Jackson's the Lord of the Rings [Paperback]
By: Janet Brennan Croft

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 2:21 am

That sucks, Sass. And its so opposite to my experience. They told me initially that it would take a month, and I received it a week later.

At least I can firmly confirm that I think that you will appreciate it overall, now that I have read most it (I only haven't read the section on "Fan Fiction" which I am not as interested in). I will write a more comprehensive review at some point in the near future, but suffice it to say that there were only two essays that I felt for so biased in their approach that I did not get anything out of them.

One sense that I will share is that the book, as interesting and erudite as it is at times, really made it clear to me just how high the level of dialogue at the m00bies forum at TORC (and to some extent continuing on here) has been.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 85 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: