The Last Homely Site on the Web

Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here

Post Reply   Page 47 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Jump to page « 145 46 47 48 4983 »
jewelsong
Post subject: Re: Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 11:37 pm
Just keep singin'!

Hall appears to be using the Bike Racks as his own private posting forum. He has started numerous threads that have nothing to do with any kind of conflict, or with resolving any conflict.

This is not the purpose of the Bike Racks. And while it is somewhat amusing to have Hal spewing and spitting on his very own forum and terribly tempting to respond, I do not feel that it is a positive thing to have continue.

Hal's posting has been restricted because the Rangers have determined that his posting style and other actions are a detriment to the over-all health of the board. I would submit that his being allowed to use the Bike Racks in this way is counter-productive, at best, and could cause further damage. I also think it is enabling his need for negative attention.

I would request that the Rangers consider locking his posts that are not directly related to a particular conflict. If he wants to start a new one, he should follow the rules of the Bike Racks - ie: names of posters involved in the discussion, stating the purpose of the thread in the first post and so on.

If we're going to do this, let's do it right.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 11:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I was going to ask, but JS beat me to it in different words: How is halplm starting threads in the Bike Racks as responses to other threads all over the board any different to not being confined in the Bike Racks?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 12:01 am
Just keep singin'!

I have gone back and edited out all my posts to Hal in the Bike Racks. I regret that I was sucked into responding. I read other people's posts in there and see how many people are still trying to somehow reach out to Hal...even at this stage. It is so tempting to do so.

But I honestly think that responding to him is the worst possible thing. He thrives on the specialized attention. And basic behavior modification tells you that to extinguish a behavior, you ignore it.

It is difficult to do. We've all "known" Hal for a long time; in a strange sort of way, he belongs to us. We want to help..but Hal consistently refuses to listen, to change, to grow or to take any kind of responsibility for his posting style. I read measured and carefully thought-out posts by Lidless, by Jude, by Holby, by River, by Di, by many, many people. Hal seems to take none of it in; he takes none of it to heart, he considers anything he doesn't agree with to be lies, vendettas, group-think, personal grudges. The idea that everyone saying similar things about his posting just MIGHT mean it has some validity appears to be impossible for him to grasp. His repeated insults, sarcasm and condescending attitude have alienated almost everyone on this board.

I will no longer respond to him in any way in the Bike Racks. I will no longer respond to him, period. I would suggest that others do the same.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 12:12 am

Holby did go and lock hal's threads in the Bike Racks earlier and told him to stop starting new threads. I just came back online, so I'll check it out.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 12:21 am
bioalchemist

He can't open new topics anymore. He can post to existing topics though.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Mon 26 Jan , 2009 7:05 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I think Rangers that are in a relationship shouldn't be Rangered together. There's nothing like a good tag team to make members feel the love :). And since we seem to be on a roll with making it up as we go, I'm throwing that on the table.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 26 Jan , 2009 7:24 pm
bioalchemist

I'm not sure what this is a reference to or even why it's an actual problem.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 26 Jan , 2009 7:28 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

TM, you're a Ranger currently. Is there any reason you couldn't bring up this concern privately between you and the other Rangers? It seems to me that it's bad form for you to post it out here for everyone to see. It'd be different if you weren't a Ranger yourself.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 26 Jan , 2009 8:44 pm
Just keep singin'!

I think the work and effort being put in by the current Rangers on the situation is way beyond anything anyone should be doing on a "volunteer" messageboard.

They shouldn't have to also take abuse and nasty comments from other members, never mind other Rangers. Really, really bad form.

I don't give a fat rat's ass who is "in a relationship" with who. What is happening on the board now is something that should have happened a LONG time ago and would have happened on any other board already.

TheMary, I strongly suggest that you recuse yourself as a Ranger, as you seem to have a personal issue with what should be nobody else's business.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 1:47 pm
Milk and kisses

I just wanted to thank the Rangers and all the voluntary jurors for their tremendous effort in dealing with this. I know how much of a thankless task Rangering is, I couldn't cope with it very well myself, so I admire you for going about this in such a professional manner. I'm very impressed! :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 2:24 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

jewelsong wrote:
I think the work and effort being put in by the current Rangers on the situation is way beyond anything anyone should be doing on a "volunteer" messageboard.
What Jewel said.

What Jewel said double, treble times over.

And what Ber said. :)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 4:39 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

[ img ]

You're being mean!!!

Lali

(Okay, I'm leaving!)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 4:48 am
bioalchemist

<best Ranger voice>
I have split the off-topic posts off into the Turf. Go help yovargas find his clothes. =:)
</best Ranger voice>

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 10:45 pm

If nobody objects, can we please unsticky the "4th B77 Secret Santa- Register by Nov. 8th! (extended)" in the ML? Thanks. :)

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 10:47 pm

Sure. :)

except Holby beat me to it. :suspicious:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Fri 30 Jan , 2009 12:30 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Of course, and I beat you to this too. :P

We have added a Photobucket account to the board. The username is Board77.
We did this to store pictures that we sometimes use on the board.
Sure we could upload them via the ftp software and store them directly here, but Photobucket seems an easier option for a lot of people.

We have also drafted a new PM that current and future ranger teams should send out to new rangers coming aboard. It can be found in the Forum Management section and is entitled, The Hitchhiker's Guide To Rangering.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 30 Jan , 2009 9:48 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar, in the Forum Management thread wrote:
True, but what I used was Textpad. A truly awesome editor, and a free download (although there's a nag screen.)
I've been using Context text editor for years. It's free, and there's no nag screen! :banana:

(posted here because I don't have posting rights in that thread)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 31 Jan , 2009 4:05 pm
of Vinyamar

Looks interesting. I see it has searching using regular expressions, and context highlighting, which is what I mainly used Textpad for. Does it allow RE searches using special characters like Carriage Return and Line Break?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 31 Jan , 2009 7:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

You can search using regular expressions. I'm not sure about carriage returns and line breaks, though, because your search input box is not multiline.

It's very lightweight - you may as well download and install it, and if it doesn't have what you need, just remove it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 31 Jan , 2009 9:25 pm
of Vinyamar

I'll have a look Jude. In textpad you have to check "Allow special characters" and the \n stands for newline. So if you wanted to remove all comments you could search for every line that began with "\n#" and delete to the end of the line.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 47 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 145 46 47 48 4983 »
Jump to: