board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

NANOWRIMO - anyone doing it this year?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Estel
Post subject: NANOWRIMO - anyone doing it this year?
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 12:33 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Is anyone doing nanowrimo this year?

I completely forgot about it, so I only started today - I'm still giving myself a full month though :P

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject: Re: NANOWRIMO - anyone doing it this year?
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 2:36 pm
Triathlete

I decided to quit earlier than I usually do - so I didn't even sign up. :P

One of these days I'll do it. But not this year. Too busy having fun. :banana:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 4:50 pm

I am!

I'm behind because all of my classes decided that November was a wonderful time to have projects due every week.

But after Thursday the projects are over until December so I can catch up then. :cheers:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Tue 18 Nov , 2008 9:09 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Well, I'm going to try and post what I've got here at the end of each week - in a new thread though. I'll be asking people to put any critiques or advice in this thread. Maybe you want to do the same?

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:50 am

I would if I had any confidence in my coherence this month, but I don't really due to the stuff that's been going on.

Well, okay, I might post some of the parts I like to see what people think. :) I haven't decided if I'm really going to let anyone see the whole thing without heavy editing though.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 9:57 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Technically we're not supposed to edit.

I'm letting Steve fix my grammar though :whistle:

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 10:10 am

Editing after the month is over is allowed/encouraged.

That's when I'll be doing it.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 5:04 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Ah, I see :P

I'm actually pretty proud of what I've got this year. Usually I come up with a character and completely flesh it out - literally every single detail, the history, everything. I end up not being able to write a story around the character because I'm so concentrated on the character as they are that nothing can happen to them.

This year I wrote six words that I wanted to some how be involved in the story, and then I just started writing. I don't know my character at all - she's a complete mystery. Her relationships with other people is a complete mystery. I know what she looks like and I know where she works and lives. However, I only know these things because she had to have a full I.D. check, and physical description and living location came up on the computer in that part of the story. Even then, because the information was basically like that of a drivers license, just a bit more detailed, it isn't actually a really good description. Just the basics. She has black hair. I don't know if it's curly or straight, short or long, thick or fine, blue black or brown black - all I know is that she has black hair.

It's the first time I've ever written this way, and to be honest, I really like it. Instead of me wondering if other people are going to like the story and wonder what's going to happen with it, I am thinking that I like it, and trust me, when I say I wonder what's going to happen with it, I mean it. I have no idea where it's going, and I'm not even trying to figure it out. I did two paragraphs this morning, and suddenly there's the beginnings of a plot. Up until now, it's been set-up. Not just for the reader, but for me as well. I sat down for a quick write before running into town, and there it was. I swear, my fingers have brains, because they know what's going on, but I don't :P

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 10:13 pm

I'm writing with a character of mine that I am familiar with, but he doesn't really have any set history except this story which is actually his past.

I had a general outline (graduation, fight between two secondaries that triggers a huge plot point, road trip, college, romantic interest, end of the world) but the secondaries saw fit to step up and fight much too early and so I've had to ditch the plot completely (especially after the most recent development on their part) and now they're in complete control. :scared:

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 30 Nov , 2009 6:32 am

50442 words in 29 days, after losing three days to a computer virus.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 30 Nov , 2009 3:48 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Wow! That's great, CG!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sat 20 Nov , 2010 12:38 am

I'm doing it again this year and it is actually going great. I'm 2 days ahead, now I'm 200 words shy of being 3 days ahead.

My biggest problem was figuring out a way for one villain's evil plot to work.

Actually the biggest problem is that I had figured out both the beginning and the end of the story, but hadn't filled in the middle yet. When I hit the 12k word mark I realized I needed a lot of inspiration. Finally I found it. Now I'm at the 36k word mark and starting the wrap-up details.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 20 Nov , 2010 2:21 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:thumbsup Awesome job, CG!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sat 27 Nov , 2010 6:27 am

I did it. And I finished 4 days early.

So I had the beginning all planned out, and I had the ending all planned out, but I didn't have anything in the middle. At about 12,000 words I started to panic, because I'd run out of beginning.

At about 40,000 I realized I could finally wind things up, and I did so with just over 100 words to spare.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: