The Last Homely Site on the Web

Next Agenda Items

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 76 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 12:06 pm
WYSIWYG

Jny, in the user administration, you can sort users according to "last activity".

So, for example, right now, 43 users haven't been active since the end of April. A quorum based on members active in the past six weeks (for example) would then only need to be based on 150 users, instead of 190.

(Of course, that includes RP IDs, so it's not very exact - depends on how exact we need to be (or on what percentage of RP characters in comparison to real users there is ;) ) ).

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 12:15 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:) that is good to know.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2005 1:03 pm
Living in hope

That is good to know, Hobby—thanks!

I was thinking that last activity (that's the last time they came here, right?) might be a better indicator than post count—someone with a high post count who hasn't been here since December is less of an active member than someone with a low one who was reading the board yesterday.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 7:38 am
Tricksy Elf!

Would that mean though that if somebody has not been active for months but who comes back in yesterday with no knowlage of what is happening on the board, would they get a vote if they had been active yesterday?

Presumably, if somebody is logged on to vote they are active anyway on the post count monitor thing?

Mayby a role for the Mayor, to keep tabs on membership, see numbers and work out quorum on an individual vote basis. Afterall, if we get 50 new members during the period of a discussion for a vote, and the actual vote taking place, the quorum will not make sense anyway. When do we measure it?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 7:55 am
Living in hope

We're not talking eligibility to vote, Din—just how many people to count as a rough basis for the "actual" population of the board, so we can use a percentage of that for the quorum number. We don't want to inflate the board population with people who never post or haven't been around in months.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 12:37 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Friends,

We said we were going to reconvene today, Friday, June 17. I know that Alatar and Alandriel are unavailable or largely unavailable over the weekend, but we could at least let people volunteer as discussion leaders and start the threads that are needed.

Per the Agenda, things that had to be completed before opening: I believe the new front page statement is being written, as well as the New Comprehensive Guide to B77. Anyone know who is working on that?

The Charter has been loaded onto geocities by Alandriel, and the Handbooks will be placed there, too, with links directly from the board. I believe we’ll need links in the Comprehensive Guide, and I will put them in the Mayor’s forum as well.

Per the rest of the Agenda, these are the threads I believe we will need to carry on simultaneous discussions:

1. Election of the Mayor
2. Hearings to remove an elected official
3. Binding votes of the membership and thread deletions
4. Standing Committees and Ad Hoc Committees, inclusive of the Extraordinary Powers clause and the Amendments to the Charter paragraph. with everyone’s permission, I would like to lead this thread

Voronwe will put his lawyerly skills to work coordinating all of us - and might want to take a thread, too. Alandriel is handling the vote on naming the history forum. Anyone want to be discussion leader for one of the first three threads?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 12:58 am
Living in hope

I would step forward—it's about time—but I am going out of town on the 28th for a week.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 2:30 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
I believe the new front page statement is being written, as well as the New Comprehensive Guide to B77. Anyone know who is working on that?
I had no idea there was work being done on any of these!
But I think Anthy just volunteered - or was volunteered :P - for the Comprehensive Guide.

Well, anything I can do - I'm game! :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 2:44 pm

Well, I think the Front Page Statement is mostly the Mission Statement, but I could be wrong.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:06 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Well, if the Comprehensive statement is, in fact, an updated Farawen welcome to b77 thread, I could start working on that.

I am afraid I do not know the perhaps "established" protocol for such concerns, so I'm just going to throw out my own nefarious plans for this project; I would greatly welcome feedback and fine-tuning.

Would it be okay if I were to copy that work that she did into a new thread here in Jury Room, suggest an update or two myself, and then take a few days to garner suggestions?

Believe it or not, I may not personally be too near this place the next few days. :( (Timing is an odd thing, isn't it?)

We are repainting our office here at home, and putting down new tile (which is my job today and tomorrow, w00t!), and we may have to unplug this computer for a while. (Egads!)

Then I work Monday and Tuesday, and boy when I'm at work, it's run run run for 12-14 hours... not a minute, and I kid you not, for such personal interests as b77. :) Or for such personal interests as potty breaks and food, but that's not important to this thread...

Anyway, what I hope to do is get a good look at the work that has already been done (bless that Farawen) and play with it a little bit today, and then post it for you fine people to digest and dissect until mid-week next week.

At which time I would hop back into this seat, and see what wonders you have all wrought in my absence, shamelessly steal your ideas and use them as my own, and bang out the new document.

I suppose at that point I would give it a couple more days for discussion, and then is this something that we would have a 72-hour vote on?

There's probably a thread somewhere with all this protocol outlined... :oops:

Last edited by Anthriel on Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:12 pm

Quote:
Voronwe will put his lawyerly skills to work coordinating all of us - and might want to take a thread, too.
Is that what I do? :Q

I would like to run the thread on naming the charter. :cool:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:12 pm
Living in hope

It sounds like a plan to me. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:19 pm

Hey, Ranger Babe, if you were talking to me, I just changed my post.

:oops:

(I had found I'd used the word "project" twice in one paragraph, and obviously we can't have THAT kind of thing goin' on in here :Q .)

I also added something about a vote... could you get your ranger self back in here and comment on that part, too?

:sunny:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:22 pm
Living in hope

Hey, I was talkin' to you, Anthy! And yes, we must have elegant language here at all costs.

The committee discussion and vote process is pretty informal—discuss until it seems everyone has had a chance to weigh in, then vote until everyone has voted—sometimes cut a little short if it's no longer possible for the missing votes to change the result. It's usually about 48 hours, isn't it, Voronwe?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 3:56 pm

Anth: Would it be okay if I were to copy that work that she did into a new thread here in Jury Room, suggest an update or two myself, and then take a few days to garner suggestions?

That's perfect, Anth.

Voronwe: I would like to run the thread on naming the charter

This is a low-priority item. You're welcome to do it, Voronwe, but I would like to get thread leaders for the top priority items lined up first.

In fact, I'm going to start the thread on Committees today ... just have to get my kitchen cleaned first. Why do kitchen floors get so dirty????? Anyone who looked at my floor would think I have trouble getting the fork from the plate to my mouth. :(

Jn

edit to add: front page statement should include the Mission Statement (without titling it as such) and the disclaimer for the TOE forum as voted upon. Blend them together somehow to make a nice welcome.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 4:00 pm

Jn, that's what God made dogs for. :) Food never actually hits the ground, around here...

Okay, I'll work on that today. (It feels good to have a project to do!)

:D

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 8:41 pm

This is Jnyusa's daughter. She asked me to get online and tell you that "the phone company fucked her Internet service once again by screwing up her settings at the server level."

Jnyusa doesn't have access to Internet or email, so she'll be out of touch until she finds "a good lawyer to sue the balls off the phone company."

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 8:46 pm

Hi Jnyusa's daughter. Wonders which daughter

Tell her we say :rage:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 8:48 pm
Living in hope

:( I hope Jn gets satisfaction on this soon.

Of course, it sounds as if real satisfaction here would involve heads on platters.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 10:36 pm

Well, I'm here again. It's Jnyusa. That was the daughter who's going to Harvard. :D

Heads on platters, yes, that's exactly what I'm going to get this time, having spent this month a total of 3 days without internet service and nearly 8 hours on the phone with Verizon tech support personnel insisting that I change my ISP settings or else they can't do anything to help me, which OF COURSE does not work - it disables your internet service completely. Once you've accomplished that, they say, "Awww, it looks like your modem is not working any more. You need a new one. Oh, I just looked up your warranty. Sorry, you're out of warrant. You'll have to buy a new modem. Here's the number to call." (All with an indecipherable accent.)

I don't often use the F word but this if fucking FRAUD and Monday morning I'm calling the FCC to find out where to lodge complaints, the Better Business Bureau - which is really a gob of spit into the ocean because Verizon is owned by some European company - and Verizon US headquarters in Spring Valley NY, to get the correct name and address of the Vice-Arsehole in charge of customer service and he or she is getting a letter with an invoice attached and a copy of that letter is going to my senator and to the FCC and to the Eruopean headquarters and to the WTO.

Verizon has a monopoly in my area. I can get Comcast but I pay a premium for not wanting cable TV to go with it, and I have to have the cable hookup installed, which I don't want, and so forth. Boy, there was a time when Monopoly was a dirty word. Now Citizen is a dirty word. Billpayer is a dirty word. Customer is a dirty word.

Well, let's see how they feel about a letter every week to the FCC, Senate, European headquarters and WTO until they reimburse me for my time and hours during which service paid for was not rendered.

It is NOT because I'm on a MacIntosh, by the way. The disconnects are happening at their end. I can tell by how long it takes to get a service rep on the phone. Other people are having the same problem, and we're all at their mercy. And they always give the same instructions - same damn thing every time: Change your ISP, which makes your service disconnect, and then they tell you it's your modem that's broken, and they they check your warranty, and then they send you to a sales rep.

This month I've been through 3 supervisors and 7 service reps, none of whom had the faintest clue what they were supposed to be doing besides selling people new equipment that isn't needed. I am a complete computer illiterate and I know more than these idiots do. It's not tech service at all - it's protectia dressed up in a tech service uniform. First they break your system, and then they want to be paid to fix it.

OK. Rant over.

Don't even ask my how I got my service back. I jiggled and fiddled and trashed and forced overrides of the new information they put in and on the last restart it just worked again. Only God knows how.

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 76 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: