board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Tolkien on Film: Essays on Peter Jackson's the Lord of the R

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 85 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Kezmoid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 4:59 pm

I completely forgot about this book since I hadn't seen it in any bookshops or libraries (I wanted to peruse it before purchase). So, unfortunately I can't really comment on it. :(

However, one thing that I was worried about was that the Essays wouldn't be that interesting or provide any new insights because we've already discussed the films pretty much to death and probably to a greater depth.

(And btw, Voronwe, I got the information about the essays from TORn)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 5:04 pm

Kez, I did find some the book interesting, with some insights from a somewhat different (more academic) point of view then most of the m00bie discussions. On the other hand, much of it does cover some of the same old ground. Unfortunately, it apparently was not available from Amazon on your side of the pond, and only sporadically available here (although I got my copy quite quickly.

Profile Quote
Kezmoid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 5:33 pm

I'm curious ... what were these different "more academic" points of view?

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 6:31 pm

I'll try to answer this later when I'm home and have the book in front of me to consult.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 4:34 pm

Kez, each of the authors are academics, and the book strives for the flavor of an academic work. There are lots of cites to specific passages in the book and specific scenes in the movies, and to lots of secondary sources. Its interesting to see some of the familiar arguments made in this venue, and that people still distort the facts in order to support their views. But there are some interesting other perspectives that come through as well. The first author, J.E. Smyth, is a Ph.D. candidate in Film Studies at Yale. Several of the authors have a strong background in medievil studies, mythology, fantasy, women's studies. They all bring some interesting viewpoints (even the ones of extreme purist bent, when they are not busy mischaracterizing the films ;)). And Jane Chance is, of course, a fairly well known Tolkien scholar (and critic of the films).

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 85 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: