Need to Contact A Ranger? Post Here

Post Reply   Page 2 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 583 »
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 9:52 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Ara, I am here, but I'm only a Ranger until Wednesday and shouldn't get involved. I just wanted you to know I was not ignoring your post.
Says who?
I believe we have the right to extend your term for another two weeks. :P

In any case I have noted your post and have replied via PM.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 10:12 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Jnyusa wrote:
Yes, we can put the i.d. into the hands of the rangers jointly. But I foresee some potential problems with this down the road, and I'm not sure this is the best of all times to discuss them. If there really is an initiative in the immediate future to change the charter in significant ways, we will have to give serious consideration to the implications of Rangers also being administrators of record.

Jn
Jny - thanks for weighing in and bringing up possible reservations. I'm so out of touch that I'm only barely aware of what's going on atm re a possibel initiative to change the charter in significant ways but if that should transpire, then yes - it will raise issues re Rangers also being adminstrators of record.
I'm sorry I'm bringing this up now, but obviously I'm a bit very much out-of-the-loop. As I said, it does not have to be done/decided right now. I guess this will have to wait then until after X-mas, New Year for I don't want to overload people here even more, busy as many are with current matters plus the upcoming festive seasons. I've already spent 2 Christmas' in a row with 'message-board' stuff (and rather unpleasant/very serious matters too). I wish this on no-one.

I'll bring this matter back up around 3rd January 2006 and hope the time then will be more condusive. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 10:14 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Thanks, Alandriel. :hug:

Probably are issues are not going anywhere before then. The holiday season will be distracting us. ;)

Jn

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 11:26 pm
Unlabeled

Regarding the discussion going on in "Forum Management"...

Speaking as someone who purposely has my ID set to "invisible" - it's that way for a reason, you know? Truthfully, it annoys me that the software allows Rangers to see invisible members. I feel that if anyone wants to know whether one of their friends is ok, it should be for them to contact their friend via PM, email, IM, whatever. It's possible to see when someone last posted, and it's possible to see when visible members are online. But as far as invisible members go, I think that our decision, for whatever reason, not to have our IDs showing, should be respected.

Yeah, I know that other boards have the option for all members to view this information, etc. It's not a hugely big deal. Just thought I'd express an opinion while the discussion was going on.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 11:33 pm
Living in hope

The software has to let us see invisible members, tp—a board beset by trolls, say, needs that protection. We are all admins, higher-powered than mods, because no one wanted mods—and that's one of the powers we have.

I personally don't "take notice" of someone who's invisible, and I would never mention that I had seen such a person on the board to anyone. It's the only polite way to behave, I think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2005 11:39 pm
Unlabeled

Fair enough, Prim. I'm not sure why I'm so sensitive on the "invisible" point, but I really prefer to browse that way. In any case, I agree with you on the only polite way to behave. ;)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 12:00 am

Thanks for weighing in on this, tp. If there are members who want their privacy retained then I think we should respect that and not reveal info that only the Rangers could otherwise see.

Personally, I abuse this privelege up one side and down the other by waiting for people to appear online before sending them casual PM's. :neutral: I just forget that if the name is in italics, it might be kind of a shock to them!

Jn

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:17 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Rangers:

Is there any way to use the "Admin" account, or some other "official" account, to start a thread which has been split from another?

It seems there is sometimes some confusion as to who is "starting" a thread, even when the fact that it was split is documented in the first post; to the casual observer, it may look like a certain member chose a title for a thread which, in fact, they did not choose.

Thank you!

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:22 pm

:oops:

dad gummed computer...

:rage:

Last edited by Anthriel on Wed 07 Dec , 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 2:51 pm
Living in hope

Unfortunately, Anth, there isn't. There's no way to append a new post at the start of a split. It has to begin with a post that's actually in the thread, and all following posts have to be in order (though it's possible to skip some).

I do see your point, however, and I wonder if the regular Rangers might want to consider a policy of editing a note into the first post saying clearly that the thread was split from another and the Ranger chose the title. (The "threadstarter," the owner of the first post, is able to change the title, too.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 4:38 pm

Yes, we are supposed to edit into the first post a link back to where the thread came from.

It has happened more than once during the past two weeks that I found the thread topic to be somewhat inconsistent with the person who ended up as the thread starter, because I tried to do splits where conversations began and sometimes they began with an innocuous post. As Prim said, there's nothing we can really do about that.

Jn

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 11:53 pm
Try to stay perky

You could start a new thread with an appropriate title and explanatory first post, then split off the unwanted posts from the confuzzled thread, then con-join (that's not the technical phlubber word, but you know what I mean) the two threads together.

More work though.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2005 11:57 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't have an admin panel in front of me right now so I can't be sure, but I do not believe there is a merge threads option for phpbber boards.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 12:04 am
Living in hope

Eru's right, of course. We can't merge threads.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 1:03 am
Try to stay perky

:neutral:

Okay.

I have this vague memory of merging two threads on my own little family phlubber board...perhaps it's a case of having wanted to do so rather than actually having done it, though.

Never mind. :)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 1:22 am
Living in hope

Well, we all have our fantasies. . . . Being able to merge threads would be so useful. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Dec , 2005 3:46 pm

Dearest Rangers:

Could you please move my "Sue the Bastards" thread from Turf to Members' Lounge?

Thank you so much!

(I think that thread predated Members' Lounge... it really is a much better fit there!)

~Anth

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Dec , 2005 5:22 pm
Living in hope

Anthy, would you mind putting in a link or tell me which page of Turf it's on?

Or maybe someone has already moved it. I looked quickly but didn't spot it either place.

Edit: Well, duh, there it is. Going off to move it now. Sorry!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Dec , 2005 6:12 pm

Thank you, Prim. I thought of putting the link here, but got attacked with a bad case of the lazies.

:oops:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Dec , 2005 9:13 pm
Living in hope

What—are you resting? Just because you have the weekend off? Sheesh, woman! I've already been to a church committee meeting, and now I'm making two plum puddings. <wafts Odour of Sanctity toward Anthy>

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 83  [ 1648 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 583 »
Jump to: